Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG It turned my son GAY!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 74 Replies

I've seen it time and again on CafeMom... why are there so many mommas and daddies out there that refuse and/ or are uncomfortable with getting their little boys traditionally 'girly' things, even if they -really- want it? My son, 18 months old, loves his baby doll that he picked out all by himself. He carried around a little purple unicorn forever... and if he wanted an easybake oven, he'd be getting one. If he wanted to be a *gag* cheerleader, as long is it made him happy... I'd be okay with it. If he wanted to do ballet or twirl a baton... I'd tell him to go for it. Of course, I'd warn him that not EVERYONE is as accepting of different people and remind him that differences are what make the world beautiful. I don't understand why people are so uncomfortable with letting their little boys play with 'girl' toys, but girls who play with boy toys are encouraged! Anyone able to explain it to me?

And it's sad that my titles are always having to be changed. I ask for real opinions from moms and every time, my posts get overlooked because I'm not bashing people. Maybe if I turned this into a bash-fest, people would be more open with their opinions.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyranightshade
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Okay. Seriously?

mysteriousmom06
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Honestly, most of the time I don't care but I do draw the line sometimes.

i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Quoting lyranightshade:

Okay. Seriously?

Homophobes.

And I'd hate my kids to be cheerleaders whether they were boys OR girls haha.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

lyranightshade
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

What's the line you draw and -why- do you draw it? What is it about a boy doing girly things that is so repugnant, but a girl say... playing football is 'cute'?

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

lyranightshade
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

If you notice the *gag* up there... that's to cheerleader in general. lol I had a misguided two weeks where I was a cheerleader. It's absurd. Completely absurd. But I'd support my kids. As long as they were happy and fulfilled... but I can't say I'd be HAPPY about that. lol

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Quoting lyranightshade:

Okay. Seriously?

Homophobes.

And I'd hate my kids to be cheerleaders whether they were boys OR girls haha.

mysteriousmom06
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Quoting lyranightshade:

What's the line you draw and -why- do you draw it? What is it about a boy doing girly things that is so repugnant, but a girl say... playing football is 'cute'?

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

I draw the line when I think that its something my children aren't mature enough or emotionally not going to be able to happen the repercussions of.

Like you said, being different is not a popular road to take. I think that some ppl are thicker skinned, even as children & for them its fine. But I think as parents, if we feel our kids would be getting themselves into something they couldn't handle that its our job to try & lead them to a safer path.

lyranightshade
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Could I have an example? I'm curious as to what your line is. How would you explain it your son?

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

Quoting lyranightshade:

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

I draw the line when I think that its something my children aren't mature enough or emotionally not going to be able to happen the repercussions of.

Like you said, being different is not a popular road to take. I think that some ppl are thicker skinned, even as children & for them its fine. But I think as parents, if we feel our kids would be getting themselves into something they couldn't handle that its our job to try & lead them to a safer path.

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

lol It doesn't make me uncomfortable that he wants an Easy Bake Oven.  I bought him a kitchen set at 2, he wanted baby dolls at 2 and 3 and I got it for him...I even got him a stroller once.  With him just now starting school I am worried about him getting picked on for having an EBO but for some reason I would not think twice about getting him another baby doll if he wanted one right now.  It has nothing to do with girly toys but it has to do with an EASY BAKE OVEN  lol

lvnmylif
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I don't understand that either.  Your child can not turn gay.  They are born the way they are a doll is not going to turn them gay the same way seeing the dad naked wont turn them gay.  People get a little funny when it comes to this topic though.  In our house sexual orientation is a non issue.  We do not bother judging others based on who they fall for.  Our kids are well aware of this from an early age so it's not an issue for them either.

KristaP13
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

It's because they think their children will be "gay" if they let them play with certain things I guess.... IDK.. Closet Homophobics....

I'm buying my 2year old dinosaurs and toy cars for christmas.. she likes them.. I'm sick of buying toys she doesn't play with.... If it turns her into a lesbian.. o well ... My best friend will help her through that LMAO.... (that was total sarcasm btw)

I'm a 20 year old, spoiling my daughter with love, Small town living, walmart shoppingresearch b4 vaxing, fuel efficient car driving, anti-fast food & soda, chasing my toddler instead leashing her, giving her carrots instead of cookies, former varsity athlete, making my husbands dinner every night from scratch,Vampire book collecting, Fairy Tale Loving, Camping & canoeing, Atheist Mom, who loves my family more than anything in the world. 

& I beat the Monster aka Smoking addiction...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)