Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teething and breastfeeding advice please!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

my son is teething but he just bit into me nipple hard wouldn't let go what can i do for him or for him not to do this.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MsPsychotic
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

When mine would bite, I'd yelp "Ow!" and stop nursing instantly, putting them down. If you keep your nails trimmed, it's easy to slide a finger in at the corner of their mouth and between their gums to break their hold. If you let your nails grow or get acrylics, you run the risk of harming them in the process, but it can be done.

I'd put them down, cover up and walk away. I'd give them 2 teething tablets. Wait 10-15 minutes, then try nursing them again. That's usually all it would take. I don't think any of my children ever bit me more than 2-3 times. I'd like to say they learn after the first time, but that's not the case.

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Quoting MsPsychotic:

When mine would bite, I'd yelp "Ow!" and stop nursing instantly, putting them down. If you keep your nails trimmed, it's easy to slide a finger in at the corner of their mouth and between their gums to break their hold. If you let your nails grow or get acrylics, you run the risk of harming them in the process, but it can be done.

I'd put them down, cover up and walk away. I'd give them 2 teething tablets. Wait 10-15 minutes, then try nursing them again. That's usually all it would take. I don't think any of my children ever bit me more than 2-3 times. I'd like to say they learn after the first time, but that's not the case.

I think she's exactly right.  Bottom line-take the baby/child off off of your breast.  Yell OW!  And then wait about fifteen minutes to go back to nursing.  I'm not sure what teething tablets she's talking about, but it wouldn't hurt, probably, to give the baby something like this to ease teething pain.  Wait until they have a mouthful of teeth!  No, seriously, mine never bit more than a couple of times.  And only once after the teeth.  It'll work out for you-just hang in there!

Paesana82
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Exactly. I would just say NO really loud and they get the point.

Also, I never used anything for teething, my kids were fine with just a wet washcloth(clean of course)

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting MsPsychotic:

I think she's exactly right.  Bottom line-take the baby/child off off of your breast.  Yell OW!  And then wait about fifteen minutes to go back to nursing.  I'm not sure what teething tablets she's talking about, but it wouldn't hurt, probably, to give the baby something like this to ease teething pain.  Wait until they have a mouthful of teeth!  No, seriously, mine never bit more than a couple of times.  And only once after the teeth.  It'll work out for you-just hang in there!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

hautemama83
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Well with mine he didn't care how loud I yelped OUCH! he would bite harder, so I started just flicking his cheek, not super hard just enough so that he knows that hurts and not to do it anymore, it got him to stop and he doesn't do it anymore.

MsPsychotic
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Hylands Teething Tablets. They're a natural teething tablet that melt instantly when it hits fluid (like spit). My first son had an allergic reation to oragel, so I never tried it with the other two. Hylands worked wonders.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting MsPsychotic:

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:03 PM

He just did it again after I posted this and I said NO! And he started crying horrible like I had hit him LOL so sentimental ugh I thought I would have blood I swear the way he bit down on it. Hopefully he'll learn not to do it. My first son didn't do this

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Pull him off for a second and firmly say "No!" He will learn that it HURTS and he will stop.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)