• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is the CIO method considered ok? EDIT

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I actually don't use the CIO method but I'm wondering if I should b/c I think my son is used to getting picked up whenever he makes a noise. So....I know if something is actually wrong, then CIO is not ok, duh lol....but when is it and for how long do I let it go on before I step in? Thanks ladies =)

EDIT- My son is 7 months old, so I know it's ok to use it I just need to know how lol

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kizbee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

IMO it's okay when and if you feel that it is the right choice for you and your child. 

Valerie429
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM

When my daughter was 6 months old, I started trying the CIO method.  My doc told me to start small and work your way up.  I would go check and make sure she was ok and then giver her 5 minutes to cry and check again.  Each time i went in ot check her, I would wait a little longer before I went back.

JADIEBUG
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM

The CIO experts say 6 months old and older. NEVER younger then that.

rjpetty605
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Ethan's doctor told us at his 4 month old check up that he should be able to sleep through the night if we give him the cereal in his bottle. So he told us to feed him and put him to bed awake and let him fall asleep on his own. So we do that every night. At 7:25pm, I go and change his diaper and put him in his pjs while my husband makes his bottle. Then we feed him at 7:30pm and he is in bed by 7:45pm after kisses, hugs, and prayers. Then he will ususally fuss or talk for about 15-30 minutes and then he is out. Some nights he doesn't even fuss at all. The doctor told us that if he wakes up to leave him in bed, give him the paci, and leave the room. So we do that. Only problem is he is still in his pack'n'play bassinet in our room while we finish his room (cause we didn't have the money to finish and buy a crib until now) so when he wakes up, if he is fussy, then we wheel his pack'n'play to the living room (a few steps from our room) and turn on the tv to the Disney Channel or Nick JR. We turn on the monitor and go back in our room. We don't close the door or anything and I check on him. He will watch the tv through the side of his PNP and play with his stuffed weiner dog and falls asleep in about an hour. Then he gets up at 7am to do it all over again the next day. 

The doctor told us to let him cry it out. He said you will have to do it eventually so now is the easiest time because they are not completely set in their routine. He said that is is difficult for everyone for the first couple of days but there is no magic when it comes to it. It is hard. He also told us that with his kids (they have 3 and his wife is a doctor as well) when they finally did it that he checked all the time to see if he is breathing and that its just a normal parent response to run to your baby all the time. However, there is a time where they have to learn to be self-soothers (to a point).

Jeanne, a Conservative Christian Republican, formula feeding, disposable diapering, vaccinating, circumcising c-sectioned, crying it out, proud mommy of one little guy and wife to a great husband.

rayzensun
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I think it's ok depending on the situation, and if you continue to check every 10 min and not go longer than 45 min.

(and only at bedtime)

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
SouthernShawnee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Well I'm trying it right now for naptime....don't know if it's gonna work since he's still crying and it's been about 15-20 min.

Quoting rayzensun:

I think it's ok depending on the situation, and if you continue to check every 10 min and not go longer than 45 min.

(and only at bedtime)

SouthernShawnee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Idk if it's right but I'm giving it a shot, no promises though lol

Quoting Kizbee:

IMO it's okay when and if you feel that it is the right choice for you and your child. 

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I let him whine a bit before I actually run up to get him every time he makes a noise KWIM? If he gets fussy I let him get fussy and once I notice it's like more crying I get him out of the crib,saucer etc. I don't have anyone else to help me it's just me and my dh works out of state so thats what I do.

Do you want to vent? Join my group!! WTF

amyd4581
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I did CIO with both my kids as babies and I think it's fine only at bedtime and only after every single need has been met with the baby i.e.: clean diaper, full belly, not too hot or cold, etc.  If every need  has been met and he/she is still crying, it's ok to leave them, but only for 15 minutes max.  After 15 minutes go in there and rub their back and let them know ur there, but do not pick them up.  Chances are they are crying cuz they are so tired, and if you keep picking them up, they won't go to sleep, hence resulting in an even MORE exhausted, cranky baby.  Good luck!

SouthernShawnee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

That sounds perfect, thank you =)

Quoting amyd4581:

I did CIO with both my kids as babies and I think it's fine only at bedtime and only after every single need has been met with the baby i.e.: clean diaper, full belly, not too hot or cold, etc.  If every need  has been met and he/she is still crying, it's ok to leave them, but only for 15 minutes max.  After 15 minutes go in there and rub their back and let them know ur there, but do not pick them up.  Chances are they are crying cuz they are so tired, and if you keep picking them up, they won't go to sleep, hence resulting in an even MORE exhausted, cranky baby.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)