Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I need to know about 13 year old boys?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM
  • 30 Replies

I may have a step son coming to live with me in 2 weeks! We went through this last year, and we had everything set up for him to come, but his mom backed out and wouldn't let him come last minute, so I am going to get prepared again, but not get my hopes up!
So what should I expect? He is 12, will be 13 in March?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mykidsrock234
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

They know everything!

AlexaPISCES
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM

hormonal! HEHEHE Probably wants alot of privacy.....

Paesana82
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I think that depends on the 13yr old! When Dh was 13, he looked like a grown man, he could grow a full mustache and beard! LOL. Other 13yr olds(like my bro) still look like kids.....and act like kids.

I think it all depends! Good luck!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

ECMOM970
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM

My son is 13...what kinds of things are you wondering about? My son has a smart mouth at  times...likes to have his privacy (but this has to be monitored on cells and computers)...his body is changing into a young man so he is a moody little guy.... he thinks he knows everything and ALWAYS has to be right no matter what! Girls call all the time...he still gets embarrassed about some things especially if I (a girl) brings them up...but okay when dad does! He has his lazy days and says he forgets about his chores even though it was not about forgetting..it was about not wanting to get up and do it!

What else would you like to know?

isra1986
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM

What should I expect s far as what they like. What is "cool" for 13 year old boys. What clothing style should I buy? He is coming from another country, and wears a uniform to school. Here there are no uniforms. I don't want to buy the wrong stuff and have him get teased! He is going to have enough against him with his accent, I want to make him fit in as much as posible!

Quoting ECMOM970:

My son is 13...what kinds of things are you wondering about? My son has a smart mouth at  times...likes to have his privacy (but this has to be monitored on cells and computers)...his body is changing into a young man so he is a moody little guy.... he thinks he knows everything and ALWAYS has to be right no matter what! Girls call all the time...he still gets embarrassed about some things especially if I (a girl) brings them up...but okay when dad does! He has his lazy days and says he forgets about his chores even though it was not about forgetting..it was about not wanting to get up and do it!

themacs4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

As far as clothes & such, maybe jeans or khaki's for pants & t-shirts or polo type shirts.  Maybe even some button down shirts.  This is kind of silly, but you could go to the mall or some place where kids hang out and get a good idea of the styles they wear.  Good Luck!! 

Vandyswife
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

can you find a boy around you that is 13 ish.. maybe you can go shopping with him and he can help you out...  

MKSmom09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Vandyswife:

can you find a boy around you that is 13 ish.. maybe you can go shopping with him and he can help you out...  

This is a good idea, but even then different boys like different stuff. My 6yo likes to wear jeans and boots but in Dallas(I used to live there now live out in a small hick town), they like jeans and tennis shoes.

De_Chick
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I have a thirteen year old and a fourteen year old boy. I love them to death and haven't had any of the usual problems yet that you often hear parents complaining about. I give them alot of trust and talk openly to them about everything. I encourage them to get involved in after school activities as well as sports because it keeps them busy and studies have shown that children involved in these things are less likely to drink and/or use drugs. I think it also helps new students to fit in quicker at a new school.

As far as clothing goes, jeans, jeans and more jeans. Here the boys only ever wear khakis even if they are 'dressing up casual' lol Shirts are different types of tees, Aeropostle, Old Navy, etc. Sometimes they will wear a long sleeve shirt over them.

Quoting isra1986:

What should I expect s far as what they like. What is "cool" for 13 year old boys. What clothing style should I buy? He is coming from another country, and wears a uniform to school. Here there are no uniforms. I don't want to buy the wrong stuff and have him get teased! He is going to have enough against him with his accent, I want to make him fit in as much as posible!

Quoting ECMOM970:

jrp0606
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM
Food you need lots and lots of food. 13 year old boys eat extrodanary amounts of food. So stock up on healthier snack items etc. As far as clothes go I would get a couple pairs of jeans and t-shirts leave the tags on so you can return them if their the wrong size and then once he gets here take him shopping and let him pick out what sneakers etc he wants. Get yourself some BIG brownie points there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)