• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gun Owners

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

First don't tell me that guns aren't safe or anything along those lines.  Nothing you tell me is going to change my mind about how I raise my dd.  So if you don't like this post please go else where.

With that being said.  I have a question.  At what age did/do you teach your kids gun safety and how to shoot?  We plan on when our dd is older to teach her about guns and how to use them.  She is 2 1/2 and we both feel that is too young. 

I learned when I was 13 yrs old and I am not sure when my dh learned.  I think he was in the Air Force.  We do have guns that are in a gun safe.  So at some point she would have to learn about guns.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I think I was 8 when I learned how to shoot!

but gun safety was always a big thing my dad is a cop! so as long as I can remember!

ECMOM970
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My kids have ALWAYS known about gun safety! They were taught about guns and that they are not toys when they were able to understand! My son who is 13 started shooting when he was 10 and recently got his hunters safety card. It is never too early to teach about gun safety!

SpiritFortress
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I think you and your husband should teach her when you both feel she is ready. Of course gun SAFETY can be taught long before shooting; they don't have to be taught at the same time. But you know that because you are experienced. :)

danysmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

We started teaching our dd gun safety when she was 5 or 6...we began teaching her to shoot this past summer when she turned 9and began showing a great interest in learning...all supervised, of course.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

ds is 8 and dd is 6. we show them the guns around 4 years old and talk to them about what they are and what they are used for. we discuss the destructive power of guns and about safety and not to touch them without a parent etc. dh took ds down to the range probably at 5 or 6 to hang and watch and he lets him shoot a few rounds with help. he took him a couple weeks ago and let him shoot the .22 rifle quite a bit and he did really well. great grouping and aim, the boy is a natural. ds isn't all that interested in shooting but she will be schooled none the less - it's for her safety. maybe later she'll get more interested in it, but that's her choice to make. ds wants a .22 rifle for his 9th bday and we are planning on getting it for him.

If you love playing on Pogo, join my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/pogoplayersunite

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Depends on when she is old enough to be interested in it... I would think around 4 or 5 I would teach her not to touch and to get an adult if she finds a gun and show her what our guns look like...and then when she is a little older explain to her proper gun safety and even older than that how to fire a gun...I think we were 8 or 9 when we were using bb guns and maybe 12 or 13 when we were firing real guns.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Proud Mommy to Hannah & Taylon, wifey to my military man Bobby, and veteran!

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Thanks ladies.  You are giving me some great ideas on how to introduce her to the whole gun thing from teaching to actually firing a gun.  Thanks again.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

My kids have ALWAYS known about gun safety! They were taught about guns and that they are not toys when they were able to understand! It is never too early to teach about gun safety!

That's how we are with our daughter.Hubby is a Police Officer so a gun in the house was a given...even if we didn't have our own personal guns,so we wanted her to start learning from the beginning so whenever we have our guns out for cleaning,ect. we talk to her about them and what we're doing and why,and just little things about what to do if she sees a gun somewhere or if she's at a friends house and the friend gets a gun.It's NEVER too early.We'll just keep getting more in depth about gun safety as she gets older.Right now it's just the basics and she hasn't even touched our guns yet or knows where they are kept.I'm not sure when we'll start teaching her to shoot...I think it's depend on maturity and interest...

im23vaughn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

We are planning when the kids get 12. I think att that age she will be mature enough to understand it isn't a toy and even then we will continue to lock them up in the safe.

Alaina623
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM

About 12 or 13 is when my mom took a class IN SCHOOL about gun safety. I don't have anythign against the guns in a house with kids as long as there are proper safety procautions and education. I told hubby that BEFORE he has a gon in my house, there will be a gun safe and I will take courses. And when the kids are old enough they will take courses as well. Going to the range will be something hubby and I do every month to keep in practice. This rule applies not only to my house but my sons fathers house as well. They are a weapon. They are meant to kill for protection or food. As long as they are respected as such then they are fine.

Alaina

A proud wife to a SrA, mommy to a special needs boy, a bratty drama queen and #3 is on the way is another precious girl!

babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)