Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Life Lesson's Learned

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm having a bit of an emotional mind trail right now... 

Please, after reading this post, post a lesson about yourself that you wish you could have learned without actually having to experience it. Anything. It could be in reference to parenting, finances, sex, drugs, rock and roll...anything.

Now, here's what going on. My daughter is starting daycare on the 21st. I have to get a job! I'm writing out my resume and I get to the "work experience" section.

I'm 25 yrs old, but i've worked a lot of places. It feels like each place signifies a different phase of my life. Something happened to bring me to each one of those places. I smiled most the way through remembering each one, but one in particular made me want to close my eyes and think of something...anything to get my mind off this place. So many awful things happened to me when I worked at this place. I'd name them, but then Id's actually have to face them out-loud and i'm just not ready. Lets just say that I made every financial, romantic, physical and emotional mistake working there. Some directly related to it and some existing outside of it.

There's a question i've been asked before (and i'm sure you've been asked too), "Would you go back and change anything if you could", I'm always finding myself answering "yes". I feel like life would be so much better for us if I had steered clear of this job. I think we could still have the life we have now (only better) and totally get rid of this big junk of mistakes. It's unfortunate, though. I hate to feel this way about such a large portion of my life. I wish that somehow I would have been able to learn those lessons without actually having to experience them. Maybe I could have avoided that path I took in life by learning vicariously through others.

Anyways, we all know that the only way to learn a lesson is to actually learn it. I guess I would be cheating by trying to learn other peoples lessons.

To be fair, one lesson I wish I could have learned through someone else: Don't drink and drive OR get in the car with someone who can't keep their eyes open from the immense amount of alcohol, tree and maybe a few other things, they had consumed.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ECMOM970
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I use to be a CPS caseworker and if I could change some of the aweful things I had to witness! I learned a lot from working here and one is "KEEP YOUR PERSONAL LIFE AWAY FAR AWAY FROM YOUR WORK LIFE" there was so much drama and not because of the clients but becuase of the co-workers! I can look back on my life and wish things wouldn't have happened but those things all made me who I am today - they made me strong and independent and those are all great things...sure somethings may have been different but I am not sure I would be who I am today without all those past choices!

25beengoodtome
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

You're on the right track. Think over your past mistakes, and remember NOT to make those same choices in the future. Forgive yourself for mistakes, let the past be passed. Some of us need to learn the hard way, like falling off a bike, or tripping on a jump rope. We learn to take slow and careful steps as we grow into ourselves. 

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
jessicer421
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Thanks ladies! I enjoyed reading both replies. Thanks for they input.

mitch576
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM

devin was three when a dr. looked me dead in the eye and said..

"he will never function, you should consider long term placement."

i remember.. in that moment, my life ended.

emotionally.. i was dead. it killed my soul. you mean... never? he has no hope? no future?

i fought.. and fought. denial.. it's a strong emotion and mind set. it.. can really rule your existance.

therapy.. it's what we did. everything had to be taught to this kid. how to respond to his name, how to  look at you.. how to read body language, social cues and social speech. the most basic things that come naturally and usually do not have to be taught.. we had to teach him.

you know.. a few years ago i regretted every choice i made.. because it didn't seem to be helping him.

but.. now he's 12. he's fully mainstreamed, fully functional and most people who meet him.. never would guess autism.

turns out.. he has a genius level i.q. having tested over 125 at the age of 11!

so.. regret, is something i learned not to let into my life. you can't "undo" what has happened. you move forward and hope.. that eventually that thing you regret was actually necessary.

because.. it brought you to where you are now. it may not be perfect... but in the end.. it usually works out!

the things you do.. the struggles you have.

make you who you are.

hugs.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)