Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding question....please help!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter was born 11-11-09. I was nursing but on Thanksgiving day I had to go in for emergency surgery and the meds they had me on after made me dry up, I was very upset. Today my husband not thinking left her on the couch and she rolled off. I picked her up and consoled her. Well when I went to lay her down again I realized that I had leaked-ALOT. My questions are- Am I still lactating? Would I be able to get her back on the breast from being on the bottle? What should I do to get her back to the breast?

Please help, I really want to breastfeed!!!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Try what can it hurt?

maybe try to get some of those nipple shields to get the bottle nipple similarity! Good luck I hope it works out for you!

my2girls516
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM

No idea, here is a bump.  good luck! 

Athenas_mom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM

From what I've read and heard you don't fully dry up until a year has past since you last BF. My sister BF for the first 3 months of her DD's life and was still lactating 6 months later. Not a lot but every once in awhile she'd leak.

I'm a baby wearing, co sleeping, organic buying, ERF, had to formula feed cause I never created milk hippie momma of a wonderful energetic 4yr old girl, Athena, a rollie pollie 8 month old boy, Noah, and I'm married to a jazz musican that rocks my world and just happens to be the best dad and stepdad ever, Trevor. I won't tell you how to rasie your kids if you don't tell me how to raise mine.

mnmsmom2008
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Oh for sure!  It will probably take a bit of hard work on both parts.  Babies get "lazy" because bottle feeds are a lot less work for them.  Your milk supply is also down and will take work to get it back up, especially if you want to get her back on the breast 100% without supplements.  I would join one of the breastfeeding groups on cafemom, there are a lot of ladies that could give you great advice.

Amber115
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Quoting mnmsmom2008:

Oh for sure!  It will probably take a bit of hard work on both parts.  Babies get "lazy" because bottle feeds are a lot less work for them.  Your milk supply is also down and will take work to get it back up, especially if you want to get her back on the breast 100% without supplements.  I would join one of the breastfeeding groups on cafemom, there are a lot of ladies that could give you great advice.

MaMaBoch
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM

You can be lactating again, so congrats!  It may be hard to get her back on, but pump when she doesnt feed to keep the production going.   Keep offering her the breast whenever she is hungry.  If she doesnt take to it right off the bat (which she probably wont if she's not used to it), she will eventually, you just have to stick to it. 

Good Luck!

tginn20
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Bump-any other tips would be great!! Thanks!

Schleetle
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I am fairly new to breastfeeding - I had my DD on 11/30, and shes my first EBF baby. So I wish I had some advice, but I don't know too much yet. Anyway just wanted to say good luck, and hope you are able to BF again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

McKs0820
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM
yeah you should defintely try unless your taking any medication. Too get your milk supply back up though your going to have to breastfeed on demand and very often

CafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersI'm a devoted teenage mother, hs graduate who believes in pro life under any circumstances, never letting babies cry it out and vaccinations. Stay at home mom for now, exclusivley breastfed baby and baby wearing. Been with my SO 2years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)