Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy I wish my autism would go away......these emotional hurdles are torture.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 8yr old came out of school today crying. He was too embarrassed to tell me in front of his teacher, so when we got in the car he told me that his classmate pushed him on the floor in gym, then laughed at him and called him "retard."

I hugged him and held him. He then said "mommy how come when I make wishes in my head they don't come true?" I asked him what wishes and he said "mommy I wished my autism would go away, how come it can't?"

He started crying, and so did I. I told him that autism isn't something bad, that you do things differently, like in school, you don't like gym right? He said right mommy. I then said but you like math right? He said I love math  mommy and computer lab and i'm really good at them.

I told him, see it just makes you different in certain ways, but the good thing is you'll be really smart and maybe make those computer games you want to design. He then said yeah and D(his classmate) will not be as smart as me!

I hugged him and he then said " mommy will you always be here?" I told him always.

I can't protect him forever, I wish I could stop him from being teased, it kills me he is so sad and kids are cruel at times. I know there will be more to come and I pray he will stay strong, as well as me. I wish the world would understand how an autistic child feels from their point of view.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NEWMOMOF1
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM

group hug

loves_her_baby
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

this just broke my heart to read. What a sweetheart though....he doesnt deserve to be picked on. Society is so fucked up...I hope things get better for him and you are a wonderful mama

greenie63
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Thanks ladies, you know it's so hard to not cry, but i will later when he isn't watching.

mommymandaleigh
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I am so sorry your baby had to deal w/ this crap. It scares me that someday my baby girl will get teased children can be so cruel. Hugs and kisses for your little man. Praying for your little guy and praying someone can teach that other child some deceny and respect ! 

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

aww

tigerlily721
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Kids get picked on for all kinds of things. If it wasn't the autism, it'd be something else. I think some kids get a high from picking on people they see as lesser than themselves. It boosts their low self esteem. Tell your son that they are the ones with the issues, not him.

My mom was a substitute teacher in a special needs junior high class that also had kids with behavioral problems. A girl with Downs syndrome was being picked on by one of the kids with the behavioral issues. After the one problem kid was removed, my mom asked the girl if she was okay, and she confidently said, "yeah! Kids act like that when they don't have parents who love them like mine do!"

mikiemom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:00 PM

My heart aches for your little boy.

Quoting greenie63:

My 8yr old came out of school today crying. He was too embarrassed to tell me in front of his teacher, so when we got in the car he told me that his classmate pushed him on the floor in gym, then laughed at him and called him "retard."

I hugged him and held him. He then said "mommy how come when I make wishes in my head they don't come true?" I asked him what wishes and he said "mommy I wished my autism would go away, how come it can't?"

He started crying, and so did I. I told him that autism isn't something bad, that you do things differently, like in school, you don't like gym right? He said right mommy. I then said but you like math right? He said I love math  mommy and computer lab and i'm really good at them.

I told him, see it just makes you different in certain ways, but the good thing is you'll be really smart and maybe make those computer games you want to design. He then said yeah and D(his classmate) will not be as smart as me!

I hugged him and he then said " mommy will you always be here?" I told him always.

I can't protect him forever, I wish I could stop him from being teased, it kills me he is so sad and kids are cruel at times. I know there will be more to come and I pray he will stay strong, as well as me. I wish the world would understand how an autistic child feels from their point of view.

greenie63
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM

you made me smile with that! what a wonderful little girl.

Quoting tigerlily721:

Kids get picked on for all kinds of things. If it wasn't the autism, it'd be something else. I think some kids get a high from picking on people they see as lesser than themselves. It boosts their low self esteem. Tell your son that they are the ones with the issues, not him.

My mom was a substitute teacher in a special needs junior high class that also had kids with behavioral problems. A girl with Downs syndrome was being picked on by one of the kids with the behavioral issues. After the one problem kid was removed, my mom asked the girl if she was okay, and she confidently said, "yeah! Kids act like that when they don't have parents who love them like mine do!"

mitch576
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM

i'm sorry he is going through that. i've always tried to instill in devin that his autism is what makes him so kick ass.  so.. i'm sorry your boy is struggling.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

wifemomteacher
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I am so sorry that your son's feeling were hurt!! I hate to hear that.  My child is 21 months and she is being evaluated for autism on Friday.  I am so worried about her but I will do anything to help her!

hug your little guy!! He sounds awesome!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)