Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I had the absolute worst scare of my life today...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

We went grocery shopping as a family today.  We get home and get the kids inside and run back out to grab the groceries. We come in and I guess DH forgot to close the door.  In the seconds that it took us to take the groceries into the kitchen and go back to the livingroom, my 2yo went missing. I heard my husband call for him then I heard him yell for him through the baby monitor (which meant he was upstairs and he still hadn't found him)  I don't remember what was in my hands but I dropped it and ran.  Hubby said he checked outside and didn't see him so he ran back in to look upstairs.  I ran outside and started yelling for him. again I din't see him, I looked up and down the street.  By this point (not even 2 mins later) hubby is on the phone with 911.  I am ready to bolt up the street to look for him (still yelling his name)  and I turn around and here he comes running out from behind my house.  We normally don't play back there so I expected him to run up the street before the back yard.  Needless to say i was relieved and I just started balling and ran and scooped him up.  Told my husband I had him and just prayed and thanked God the outcome was not worse. 

I am still pretty shaken up but OMGOODNESS I was a wreck!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToraMay
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM

poor thing... 

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

scary ...glad he's ok...toddlers are quick! accidents/mistakes happen don't beat your self up just use it as  a lesson learned. (hug)

krise
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

OH That sucks! Had something like that happen with my son when he was 2. He was one of those boys that no matter what kind of safety item you buy it will not work or he will figure it out. The front door was the worse. I wind up putting a dead bolt up VERY high. So he coudln't get it. I'm sorry for your scare.  

gulfcoastmom4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Glad you found him quick.

25beengoodtome
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Praise God! Your son was just out back. I was terrified, thinking he'd jumped in the car. 

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
Lauriemom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

HUGS

I am glad he's ok

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

scary ...glad he's ok...toddlers are quick! accidents/mistakes happen don't beat your self up just use it as  a lesson learned. (hug)

JuliaW
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I know exactly the terror you must have felt, takes 10 years off your life doesn't it? Glad he's ok.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM

And these are the things that gives us mommies gray hair. Glad ya found him.

EmoticonsEmoticons

joshbellamom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I can relate to your story and I do know how scary it is. I know that heart racing feeling and that extremely happy and relieved feeling after you found them. When my son was 2 at the time, I was upstairs putting laundry away it was a summer afternoon and my father was downstairs I thought my son was with him because he was when I went upstairs, as I was putting laundry away I had this erie feeling come across me and I just knew something was not right. I ran downstairs and called for my son, then I called my dad no one was answering me....my dad then called back he was in the basement I asked him where Josh (my son) was he said isn't he with you.  My dad said he thought he seen Josh go upstairs, we looked all over the house for him. I then thought to go look outside because I noticed our door was open...here my son was running down our side street in the middle of the road (not a car in sight, our road is never that busy but still there was not a car around) I ran as fast as I could screaming for him telling him to stop it seemed like forever trying to reach him...he was just laughing and running. As soon as I got him I started crying and holding him and I hated myself that whole day like what if...what if something happen to him I'd never forgive myself. That's when I realized that everyone makes mistakes, you can be the best parent in the world watch your kid like a hawk and it only takes a minute for something to happen. I always said angels were with me that day that's the only way I can explain it. But now I am just a bit more careful even though he is 6 now I still check on him, I make sure someone is downstairs with him if I have to put laundry away or take a shower and if no one is home I make him come up stairs till i'm done. I think that taught me a lesson never just assume the other person is watching them just because they are there. I heard many stories like this where one spouse thinks the other is watching the child and things like this happen. You just always have to be careful.

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)