Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He broke his neck and has NO insurance

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

When I got the text that my stepbrother broke his neck on Saturday night my first thought was "Are you freakin kidding me??????"  If you have seen any of my other posts you would know I am recovering from hernia surgery, our family friend Elin is in the ICU after having a ruptured cerebral aneurysm, and my daughter has health problems of her own.  I swear, all I want for Christmas is for everyone to be healthy!!!!I  But enough of my rant, and here's my question.

How do the bills work if there is no insurance?  The injury is severe and I'm sure the bills will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Nick broke his neck wrestling with his friend and went to the local hospital.  He broke C3 (it cracked but did NOT pierce the cord, although it is pushing on the cord).  He is in a halo and was transferred to a different hospital for more specialized, advanced care.  He has been in surgery since this morning and will be out around 5 or 6 pm.  I'm sure there will be lots of time in the hospital, then rehab.  He had been going to school and working part time but had NO health insurance.  He is 21 or 22.  I guess he was admitted as a "public aid" patient (but he doesn't actually get any kind of PA).  Does anyone know what this means for him?  Will he have to pay a percentage?  Will this follow him for the rest of his life?  We live in IL if that makes a difference.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitch576
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

it likely means years of paying medical bills. i'm so sorry momma.. hugs and prayers for your family.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Go to the accounting department and explain all this. I am sure they will point you to the medicaid office. Then maybe from there he can get some kind of coverage and help. Songs Like a tough time for you all. Hope things settle down soon. Good luck.

EmoticonsEmoticons

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

He'll probably have to set up payment plans.

Hope his surgery goes good1

ToraMay
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Our hospital has an application to recieve assistance directly for the hospital. They have a fund and once you fill out the application, they will determine how much of your bill they can take out of the fund.

KT9105
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

If he has no insurance of any kind he'll be billed the full amount for everything they do and use in the hospital.  He can try and work out a settlement with the hospital.  A friend of mine in my hometown works in hospital collections.  She's always said that pretty much as long as the hospital recoups something they're happy.  That's not saying they'll settle $100K debt for $200 but he can definitely get some of it reduced if he's honest upfront and works something out with them.  Otherwise, yes the bills can follow him the rest of his life.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

most hospitals do some form of financial aid. He will have to fill out income paperwork....likely he wont be working for awhile so he will qualify. Also he will probably qualify for government aid of some sort.

Hope all goes well and a speedy recovery to all of your loved ones with health problems.

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I am sorry to hear that happen...As for the bills, with him having no insurance it will more likely have years of paying medical bills.

ILive4This
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

After it's all said and done, he can call billing, and they will reduce the bill....uninsured patient.  My son had to do this...he's 22...my ins would no longer cover him, b/c he wasn't a full-time student.  They reduced his bill by 1/2. (I'm in IL too)

oboe_chik
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Our hospital will take into account your income and family size and reduce the amount you owe and let you make payments on the rest of it.

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM

He may be able to get Medicaid still.  They will have him apply and they can pay back up to 3 months of medical bills depending on his income and all that.  Sometimes hospitals will have special programs for situations like this.  They are able to write large portions of bills off, so they can reduce the expenses for uninsured patients. 

If he ends up qualifying for disability after this, this also will help him qualify for Medicaid.  That is assuming he is not going to be able to work if his injuries are debilitating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)