• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mackinaw IL girl traveling 50 states in 50 weeks! UPDATE in red

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM
  • 52 Replies

Last week I saw a post about a mom who left letters on some of her neighbors doors to collect canned goods and help the homeless. It was a great idea and I think the world needs more people like that. So on that same note, my friend is doing something like this on a little bit of a larger scale with a task she calls Project 50/50. I am putting the link here but I'll tell you just a little about it. She is planning on traveling the 50 states in 50 weeks to collect needed items and volunteer her time to 2 cities in each state. She has already helped many people and I'm just trying to help spread the word and see if anyone here can be of any help to her on this journey. She'll be in your area soon and we would appreciate the help. Please bump to keep spreading the word. Thank you!

http://www.shaykelley.com/

UPDATE: If you have any suggestions on where she can volunteer her time and supplies in your area, please let us know! The journey starts in January!

UPDATE: Project 50/50 starts tomorrow January 1st! Please send your well wishes to Shay for her safety in this journey and please continue to spread the word! BUMP!

UPDATE 1/5/10: Shay started her journey in Greenville, SC and collected 143 canned items for donation at God's Pantry. She was featured on their 6 o'clock news!!! Here is a link to the video and news story. This really is very inspiring and just makes you feel good about people. Please watch and bump!!

http://www.wyff4.com/video/22123946/index.html

http://www.wyff4.com/news/22120766/detail.html

UPDATE 2/5/10: Just wanted to give whoever is interested a quick update on Shay's journey. She has now been to five states, collected 5 patches from the fire departments in each city, donated over 1000 food items and visited 20 organizations for the homeless. Thank you for your continued support. Please bump! :)

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elopez311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM

bump

dre_bunny
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM
Quoting elopez311:

bump

elopez311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I'll keep bumping it myself until I have to leave at 4:30. :)

Quoting elopez311:

bump

elopez311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Really? Nobody else can help spread the word for somebody who's trying to make a difference in this world?

elopez311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

My last bump of the day, I have to go home. But if anybody could please keep bumping this to spread the word I would REALLY appreciate it.

keri_d
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM

BUMP

Mel30248
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM

BUMP

mae_01_sw
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Bump! I checked out the page, it looks like a pretty awesome thing your friend is doing! Plus it will be pretty neat for her too, getting to see all of the US and all the people she will meet along the way and also get to help!

SheWoman
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Looks like she is up to some amazing work. I wish her the best of luck and God's grace on her journey.

Nancy,  Mom to Anastacia and Molly

black_cat86
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM
bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)