Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extended breastfeeding

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM
  • 20 Replies

this not a bashing post but i was just wondering:

i was watching super nanny tonight and the episode taht was on tonight the mother in it was still breastfeeding her 14month old daughter and when the nanny asked why she still breastfeed she said it was emotional, she said that she was scared that is she stop breastfeeding she would lose that bond with her daughter.

I was wondering is that the reason a lot of you still breastfeed after a year?

i am not  trying to bash or anything i was just wondering.

I do not want any bashing in this post

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RissaBusch
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I would say that most women do it because it's still an excellent form of nutrition and immune support.  I'm sure there's also a large emotional connection but I don't view that as a bad thing most of the time.  It's a good way to make sure your child still gets all the nutrients during the picky toddler years. 

nessy1980
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM

My baby is 8 months right now but if my baby chooses to go past 1 year thats ok because breast feeding is bonding. now if hes 3 and wants to breast feed thatll weird me out. My baby is my youngest child so in some ways Im trying to saver my last baby. 

Brittney_OREGON
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM

we made it to 14 1/2 months before i couldnt take any more... i wanted to let her wean when she was ready but i honestly hated it after about 11 months... so i cut it out cold turkey and she was fine... i think i read so many posts on here that it all got into my head that i needed to do it or i was a failure... and i realized then and now that its not true... but for a while i was convinced of it.

DixieFlower
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I think that most mothers that breastfeed past a year do it because it is beneficial to their children. The WHO recommends at least two years and APA recommends at min one yr and as long as mutually desired by both mom and child. I wish I was still BF but due to bad advice I'm not. I had considered trying again since I am still producing milk but Im not sure.

wedding tickers

ShadowLark
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

My reply would have been "who the Hell are you to ask?".  Honestly, a 14 month old?  She's a BABY!

I nursed for 2 years 1 month and 2 weeks and it would have been longer if I hadn't been thrown on pelvic rest by the doc to protect my new pg.  Two years is the MINIMUM according to the WHO.  She needed the antibodies, the extra nutrition, the yummy snack, the snuggles, etc., etc., etc.  I needed the snuggles, the easy bedtimes/naptimes, the cuddles, and the fun.  Oh, and it's also good for keeping away breast/ovarian cancer later in life.

She's adapting BEAUTIFULLY to no breast milk.  I'm super engorged and missing it like crazy.  Super Nanny is an IDIOT!

luv_my_xiya
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM

i did it because i know it is healthy...i stopped at 17 months though, I hated breastfeeding, I couldnt stand for her to do it, but I did it anyway 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

~*:*~ In need of unique jewelry? Check out www.missbfab.com ~*:*~ 

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

my dd is 17months and still breastfeeding mainly cuz she refuses to give it up and i have too much stress in my life currently to try to force her to quit, also it still benefits her

shaunalynn25
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Yeah super nanny is an idiot!! 14 months is still a baby!!!!! My 16 month old still gets breastmillk daily and will until he is at least 2. I exclus. pump but if I would have been able to BF you bet I still would be. I do it because it is amazingly good for him.

celticreverie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Not my reason at all. Super Nanny drives me nuts sometimes, as if it's any of her business why someone's still nursing lol.

In the US extended breasfteeding is classified as past 1. Everywhere else it's past 2 lol.

Anyways we did it for nutritional value and for comfort. It was always a bit of both and I wouldn't change it for the world. It was definitely NOT for me at all though, nursing a walker isn't easy but it's better than cow's milk and she wasn't ready to wean at 1.

adamsmama
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Nope. I do enjoy that special bond but honestly the only reason I'm still nursing my son is because it puts him to sleep in 5 minutes flat. Then I get to lie in bed and hear my niece (who sleeps upstairs) scream, cry and beg for 2 hours. My sil loves to point out how "independent" she is because she doesn't nurse anymore though LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)