Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Duggars kids "raising" her other kids (S/O because I was stealing the other post)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM
  • 291 Replies

I get so irritated reading about her "older kids 'raising' the younger ones".  They HELP with them. 

The Buddy System is a very organized way of having eyes in all places.  She doesn't say "here's your buddy" and go veg out in front of the tv. 

What about all the time they are all together.  They do the homeschooling together, bus-stop style, meaning she gives the youngest ones an activity to do quietly (worksheets/coloring) and then the older ones all do the more complicated lesson with Michelle.  At that point, she is watching ALL of the children at the same time. 

What people are mainly referring to is jurisdiction time and play time.  From my understanding all other times (prayer, family discussion, meals and schooling) they are all together.  During jurisdiction (chores) and play time, Michelle is working on making up lessons or cleaning and has them use the buddy system so that the older ones and keep an eye on the little ones and make sure they're doing their duties, or not killing eachother during playtime.

People act like she assigns them buddies and then leaves them to raise them all day.  So far from the truth.

I helped alot more than they do with their younger siblings (my mom would take off with her boyfriends for a week at a time) and I now realize that without the dysfunctional part, helping with them made me more responsible and able to see the bigger picture that it's not realistic to be only concerned about myself and my wants.  God forbid our kids learn any responsibility and learn real life skills....

Richly Blessed to be living my real life love story with my soulmate Brandon.  AP Mommy to my precious gifts from God Rinoa (12'06) and Alora (11'08) and hoping for many more

*A child who has their needs met completely learns to be trusting and confident.  A child that is forced to be independent before they are ready learns to fear abandonment.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvkids329
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I AGREE WITH YOU 100 PERCENT!!wearing crown

hisbabybat
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

The fact is she chose to have so many kids that she CAN NOT adequately watch them all herself, and than expects her older kids to pick up the slack?

There are better ways to teach responsibility, like, oh I don't know- being responsible yourself. 

yourgie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Quoting luvkids329:

wedding web site

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Hmmm....I was "assigned" my sister for summers and school vacations 10 hrs 5 days a week....and we are just dandy. Its not like she is saying hey here is you kid....IM OUT to hit the streets. they are HAPPY and HEALTHY and WELL behaved. JMO

wells75904
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Quoting luvkids329:

Need Help Saving Money? Check out 

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms

gulfcoastmom4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Quoting luvkids329:

Fit_Momma_Of_2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Exactly!!! They didnt ask for more brothers & sisters. I really dislike how this family tries to act all innocent & religious. UGH thats why I dont even watch them anymore.

Quoting hisbabybat:

The fact is she chose to have so many kids that she CAN NOT adequately watch them all herself, and than expects her older kids to pick up the slack?

There are better ways to teach responsibility, like, oh I don't know- being responsible yourself. 

alexhuntercody
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I heard on the radio that the duggar kids have to clean the parents bedroom. Is this true?? I can't find anything about it but today was literally bash the duggars day on the radio station..they did it so much i had to turn it off because i know they only did it because of her having that baby Thursday evening.

heathermichelle
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I see nothing wrong with the older kids helping out.

Quoting Fit_Momma_Of_2:

Exactly!!! They didnt ask for more brothers & sisters. I really dislike how this family tries to act all innocent & religious. UGH thats why I dont even watch them anymore.

Quoting hisbabybat:

kryssiruss
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I agree! I the buddy system is not a bad thing. She and her husband are very involved parents. More so than many parents out there.

Quoting luvkids329:

Krystal (Me): 27 | Robert (DH): 24 | Lorelai (DD): 11.02.07 | Peyton (DS): 12.05.08

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)