Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It just doesn't feel like Christmas anymore.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I've been taking my little girl ride to go look at Christmas lights.Well it hit me that people don't put up lights like they use to.When I was little and my parents would take me ride to go see light everyone(almost) had lights up..Now it just doesn't feel like christmas when people don't put up lights.It's heart breaking because I want my kids to see what I saw when I was little..Really people aren't as Jolly about it.I look at it like people are starting to think Christmas is a big stressfuly holiday and not fun anymore.Am I the only one who feels like this??

Just wanted to blog about it.I'm just so heart broken about it.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife.and.mommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM

around where i live a lot of ppl don't put up lights like they used to bc their bills were close to $40K.

the houses that did put up lights had a donation cup outside, and you always knew which houses got the donations bc their lights were up the next year.

christmas lights are expensive to put up.

Dyker Heights Brooklyn Christmas Lights

CheriMcNett
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

around where i live a lot of ppl don't put up lights like they used to bc their bills were close to $40K.

the houses that did put up lights had a donation cup outside, and you always knew which houses got the donations bc their lights were up the next year.

I agree they are expensive but just a few lights around the poles or something..We just have lights around the house,not much but something for kids to come ride by and say wow.Specially when they are little.LOL

JustinaLynn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I notist that too on my neighborhood, only us and our neighbor 2 doors down put up lights and there's 8 houses on our street.

*~* 2 shall become 1 flesh-- Married 5 years or less Group *~*

*~* http://www.cafemom.com/group/27316 *~*

imthatgirl728
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM

There are a lot of people around here that do them. I don;t, I'm no less "jolly" then the people that do. If someone wants to pay for my electric bill I would love to put them up...until then I guess people will just have to question my "jolliness".

De_Chick
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM

There are more people here putting up lights this year I think. I find it odd because our area is one of the highest in the entire nation for unemployment.

Windwalker2002
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Quoting CheriMcNett:

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

I agree they are expensive but just a few lights around the poles or something..We just have lights around the house,not much but something for kids to come ride by and say wow.Specially when they are little.LOL

none of the holidays are like they used to be when i was little 40 some yrs ago or my kids were little..23 yrs ago..it used to be alot of businesses closed in recognizition of the holiday..so people could spend time with family, not anymore..it seems now its who can make the most money by being open.or even the bars being open. christmas has gone commercial,

De_Chick
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM

As a side note it doesn't feel like Christmas to me this year either for some reason. I thought it was that we didn't have snow but now we have a ton of and still doesn't seem only a little more than a week away. I'm having a hard time getting anything ready for it this year because I don't have much spirit. Not sure why though.

shemarty
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I hear you mama. Where I currently live it's not as jolly lighted as i recall in NY, that part I lived.  I would spend many hours outside just admiring the lights. Wow! I definatley miss that in the streets. But had a great time at the xmas parade.

EsmeVincent
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM

me and dh were just talking about that last night, like maybe 8 people(including us) have put up lights outside, I mean yea ok we didn't put out alot and I wish I had more but to get more that costs $ that we just don't have seeing as dh might end up losing his job cause of stupidity(his office not his, they are going to outsource most of his office and we aren't sure if he is part of that).

BUT I can see how as the $ for power goes up and more and more lose jobs I can understand why people would stop doing it, it does cost $...but we have our lights on a timer, they come on at 5pm and go off at 12am...its just on the little tree(looks like a christmas tree so I decorated as so) and the front bushes....and a little sign in ds window(that goes off at 9)

I know ALL moms think their children are perfect and some may say mine is abnormal but I would rather my child be abnormal if YOU are what you call NORMAL

MomofWildcats
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM

We had a house here with an amazing light show. They were in magazines and so on... in 99 their son died and then the wife died in 05 so he stopped doing it for a year. He started again but he uses inflatables and it's not the same :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)