Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you get introuble for laughing in court?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I had custody court today because im moving away. The judge asked my ex if he opposed or agreed to me moving away. He responded i didnt know i could do that. The judge then responded do u oppose or agree. He again responded i cant tell her to move. The judge got pissed and said its not about her im asking about your son! The judge at this point is just rolling his eyes and says do you oppose or agree?The damn ex responds its up to you judge. At this point i let out a chuckle could not control it. So then the ex responds well i guess i will have to say i oppose...What a friggen moron! So anyways i couldnt help but let out that laugh because bf accidently let a chuckle out so at that point im just like you have got to be kidding me!!! So i was just wondering can the judge get upset if you start laughing? Do you think that if the judge gets very upset with the parent that it might be easier for the other parent?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:29 PM

you CAN get in trouble for laughing in court.... but the judge would more or less tell you to cut it out or leave the room for a bit. If you persisted they could charge you with contempt of court, but I doubt itd get that far

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I'd try harder to be more reserved. I imagine your ex made himself look bad enough and if the judge took issue with your behavior he would have told you about it.

If you love playing on Pogo, join my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/pogoplayersunite

kk_bella
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Yes. You can get your case thrown out or held in contempt. However, in your case, he was probably already so pissed at your ex that he ignored you. Usually, they're not going to throw you out because of one chuckle, though, they do it after you are repeatedly being disrespectful/talk over them/give attitude. You get the picture.

pasteeater
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM

My friend and I were in court once because my ex had abused me.  My friend's husband was a bailiff but not OUR bailiff that day.  We kept talking and we were told to be quiet.  He said, "If it weren't you Joy, I'd kick your butt out." We stayed quiet after that.

EsmeVincent
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM

HA! that is funny tho...well it depends on the judge, if he doesn't like your attitude I'm sure he can make it damn hard on you BUT it sounds like the judge was annoyed with him but really it just depends.

I know ALL moms think their children are perfect and some may say mine is abnormal but I would rather my child be abnormal if YOU are what you call NORMAL

ilovemyaj
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

i tried to be more reserved but at that point i dont even think the judge noticed me.

Quoting teri4lance:

I'd try harder to be more reserved. I imagine your ex made himself look bad enough and if the judge took issue with your behavior he would have told you about it.

rayzensun
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM

yes, but if you didn't get in trouble when it happened you won't get in trouble for it now...

It could make him see you as less responsible or mature

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
i.heart.rachel
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM

If you're over the age of 12, you can prevent yourself from laughing in court. Judges notice everything and you're going to look like a complete douchebag if you're laughing at your ex's expense.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

ilovemyaj
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:43 PM

think the laugh was for not even a second  and i dont even think the judge could hear me it was almost a silent one. And like others said if he did hear me he would have looked at me or said something.

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

If you're over the age of 12, you can prevent yourself from laughing in court. Judges notice everything and you're going to look like a complete douchebag if you're laughing at your ex's expense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)