• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Income tax post -- are you doing something responsible with yours?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM
  • 196 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you spend your income tax on needs (bills) or wants (electronics, vacations, tattoos)

Options:

Responsible ONLY (just paying bills, or putting it in savings)

Irresponsible ONLY (just basically blowing it)

Half and half

What tax return? Bitches!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 352

View Results

I was having a conversation with a 'friend' the other day and she said that the people who are broke enough to get income taxes back are usually irresponsible. She said her point is proven because 1)they're broke. If they were responsible they wouldn't be. And 2) they blow their income tax return on stupid stuff.

Do you agree or disagree, and why?

If you get a tax return, what are you doing with it? Spending it on bills or blowing it on a vacation?

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, business owning (Nellie Bug's Tutus) momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chais_wifey
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM

We will probably use some of the money to buy stuff for our new house (since we gave away a lot of our stuff the last time we moved) but the majority will be put into a savings account just in case I don't find a job right away when we get to Cali.  

kk_bella

I think that it's a generalization BUT that there's probably SOME truth to it. A small, teeny grain.

Then again, it doesn't mean that they will be irresponsible in every case.

I have no idea how much we will get back this year- usually I know down to the dime. But either way, we can't afford to be irresponsible this year.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Is there a certain amount you can make and not get money back? If so how much is that?

wells75904

We are going to pay like $700 of bills with our $8000 tax return, they we are going to buy new furniture, tv's, game systems, cameras, going on vacation etc, so I guess we are blowing most of it, its the only time of the year when we buy those big ticket items we want all year

celticreverie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM

All of our tax return is going to bills.. well, and some necessities for the home. Nothing irresponsible :(

luv_my_xiya
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM

i think it depends on your deductions really..one guy makes like $120,000 a year and he always gets back at least 10k because of deductions

Quoting misssy2000:

Is there a certain amount you can make and not get money back? If so how much is that?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

~*:*~ In need of unique jewelry? Check out www.missbfab.com ~*:*~ 

Mickiamommyof4
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM

bills and a trip out of state to see family, call it vacation if you wish.

imthatgirl728
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM

No. You get income tax back when you over pay into  the government. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much you make.

Quoting misssy2000:

PollyMarie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I want to put some in savings bc every year at this time my DH gets hours cut at work.  Next year and it gets really tight.  The rest of it I want to pay on bills.  I hate having several small bills hangin over our head all the time.  I want them to go bye bye.

Mommy to a DD expected Dec. 2009.  Bellamie Mashay Fleming

kcook55
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM

i need alot of dental work done i dont have insurance so i'm getting my teeth fixed as much as i can get done   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)