Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Plan Questions for all mommies.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do I HAVE to have a birth plan?

Do I fill out the birth plan with my husband or do I have to do it with the doctor?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:31 PM

No you don't have to have a birth plan.  You can decide to just go with things as they happen and make the best decisions at the time (which is the best thing to do anyway since most birth plans aren't followed if something happens and there are complications). The nurse will ask your preferences on situations that may occur when you are getting set up on the monitors.  You can let her know if there is anything specific you want/don't want. 

CafeMom Tickerssanta blue

ANandLPsMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:31 PM

You don't have to have a birth plan. Most Drs will recommend instead of a full out birth plan, making a couple "requests" to put on paper for nurses & drs when you do deliver.. but remember that births do NOT always go as planned, as some things you can't ALWAYS avoid.

I had in mine that I wanted to eat when in labor, but due to the possibility of an emergency c-section (I had gone in for a c-section, found out my 41w1d breech baby had flipped again, so they induced).. They were worried if she could flip that late in the pregnancy she could flip during induction, so yeah :( I hadnt eaten in almost 48 hrs when she was born and I didn't care about holding her, I wanted food!

It's best to talk with DF and decide what you want in certain situations then discuss it with the dr.. but remember its YOUR body, you can ultimately choose what you want, but you have to deal with the consequences.

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, prolife, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I never made a "birth plan"...  Just talked to my midwife, she told me in case I couldn't get the epi, I could have the hot tub...  I told her if my platelets went up I WANTED the epidural.  I told her I didn't want to be cut "down there" no matter what.  And I wanted my mom, sister and husband in the room with me...  Other than that I left the professionals do their job and I don't regret it.

usafwife314
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I never had one in writing.  I just told my doctor what I wanted and that was it.

M.Mama
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM

As you get closer to the big day, your doctor will ask you what you want to do.  The first time around I had one b/c I was carrying twins and had to deliver in an operating room just in case anything went wrong.  Our plan went something like this: go to hospital, don't get sent home, get epidural, move to operating room, deliver baby #1, episiotomy, turn baby#2, deliver baby #2, push out placenta, get sewn back up, take a nap in my room(they send multiples to the nursery for observation at my hospital), be a mommy!  And when I say our plan I mean the plan I decided on with my doctor.  My SO got no say in the matter, oh except the part about circumcision, we said no.  But I dont think its mandatory to have a plan.  We didn't the second time around, the nurses asked several times how I wanted to manage the pain, did I want this, did I want that.  But you should be thinking about EVERY step of the process and talking to your doctor even if you don't make any decisions until you're there.

pageantgirl3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I never had one in writing but I knew what I wanted. I wanted an epi and my hubby HAD to be in the room. Other than that, I just went with the flow.

Heather
Herbalife Independent Distributor, Air Force wife, WAHM to two beautiful babies.
Join us in Herbalife Weight Loss Support Group

AmyMiLo
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM

You don't have to have one. It's just handy to give to the nurses so they know everything you want & you don't have to worry about forgetting to tell them something like if DH wants to cut the cord.

You usually fill it out at home & then give your doc a copy later. That's what I did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)