• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who have dealt with colic please help my friend!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

My friend had a baby a weeks ago and recently found out she has colic. She has tried a few different things and none of them worked. I can't remember what she said she had tried but I thoguht I would try to help her. She barely gets any sleep and the baby wakes up her other two children who are 4 & 2. Could you please give me some advice or ways to help soothe the baby that I can pass on to her? Thank you!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cherieb10
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I used to take mine for a ride up the street. They would be out before you knew it. And stayed sleeping all night! 

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Is she SURE its colic and that it isn't reflux?  Reflux is characterised by back arching, irritability, a painful cry, hiccups, burping, spit up (not present with silent reflux), poor feeding (sometimes excessive feeding), poor weight gain.  Of course, different kids will have different symptoms but frequently acid reflux goes undiagnosed because a "diagnosis" of colic is accepted.  If the baby is having ANY concerning symptoms she should contact the ped.  There are tons of things that can be done for infant reflux, if that is the issue.  I hope your friend can get her little one some relief from whatever is going on.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

amayabrianna
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Has she tried driving the baby around? My DD loved that but since my mom was the only one with a car at the time my DR said to put her in the car seat and set it on top of the dryer and turn it on. Of course stand there to make sure the baby doesn't fall but it is similar to driving them. Also mabye gripe water. It may be difficult to find depending on where you live but it helps. Sorry I can't give too much advice on colic since mine both had reflux but when they originally DX them it was colic and they said to try these things. GL!! 

PKGCMG
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:48 PM
As she tried gripe water? That was the only thing that helped. Is her baby formula fed? It could possibly be the formula if so
messa1
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I'm not sure but next time I talk to her I will ask her! Thank you!

Quoting mom2ljh:

Is she SURE its colic and that it isn't reflux?  Reflux is characterised by back arching, irritability, a painful cry, hiccups, burping, spit up (not present with silent reflux), poor feeding (sometimes excessive feeding), poor weight gain.  Of course, different kids will have different symptoms but frequently acid reflux goes undiagnosed because a "diagnosis" of colic is accepted.  If the baby is having ANY concerning symptoms she should contact the ped.  There are tons of things that can be done for infant reflux, if that is the issue.  I hope your friend can get her little one some relief from whatever is going on.

celticreverie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Is she breastfeeding or formula feeding?

If she's breastfeeding it could be a food sensitivity. Colic, afterall, is just a name for "crying and we don't know why"

If she's formula feeding, it could also be a sensitivity to the cows milk proteins in formula.

You can try colic calm or gripe water.(not lil tummies though, a natural brand)

Also infant probiotics can help out a lot.. since overgrowth of candida/yeastcan cause a lot of digestive issue which then cause a lot of pain. 

A good brand is: Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Infant Formula. You need to find one that wasn't heat sensitive!

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Our doctor kept trying to tell us "oh it's just colic" until my husband tape recorded the crying our child was doing and played it for the doctor.  He immediately realized the seriousness of it and changed her formula, adding cereal and prunes to it (mashed of course).  This fixed the problem completely. 

"Colic" is just a catch all phrase,  push your child's doctor to find the real problem and fix it.

kryssiruss
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM

DD had colic bad! due to reflux issues.

Have her try the '5 S's' (youtube has great videos on it) from 'the happiest baby on the block' book.

Swaddle - swaddle child as tight as you can get them

Sway - rock child gentely (short faster paced giggles are better than long slow sways)

Side - lay child on side (in arms) try to get baby as much on their tummy as cofmort allows

Shh - white noise (vacuum, dryer, heart beat music or good old fashioned SHHHing) must be heard over babies cries so if baby is loud be louder and reduce sound as baby calms

suck - paci or breast

some babys may not need all 5 but my DD did and we used this until she was 8mo old.

That book was a God send when I was at my wits end

Krystal (Me): 27 | Robert (DH): 24 | Lorelai (DD): 11.02.07 | Peyton (DS): 12.05.08

Momof3smoochies
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Try chamomile tea. Worked wonders with my son.

CAarmywife
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM

i cried alot. she would be up for 2 hours, go to sleep for an hour up for 2 hours go to sleep for an hour and i also had a 19 month old with a husband who didnt do anything. she liked to be held all of the time so i put her in a bjorn around the house. every baby is different just keep trying different things and hopefully something will help. ohhh i also found that baby liked to sleep on her tummy. weird i know but when u are getting only 3 hours of inconsistent sleep a day for a couple months u do anything for a nap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)