Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Getting married at a courthouse? obtaining a marriage certificate?? Weekend??

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM
  • 21 Replies

ok so my fiance is going to be applying for the air force, we are not married so we planned on just doing a courthouse thing I dont want a wedding both my parents are gone but the problem is he just started a brand new job and he works M-F all day so we will never have time to do it.. is there anyway to obtain one over a weekend or we basically screwed We live in IL

by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparkey6987
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I'm in MA, and I'm pretty sure all the states around here require both parties to sign in person. Do a search.

michelle121003
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Call the courthouse and ask...

AlyssaRob1416
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

You can get married on a weekend, but you have to obtain the license on Friday during courthouse hours.

ToraMay
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM

The place your getting it from must be open on Saturday... this one is... I dont know if theres one closer, look for the vital records office closest to you... or type marriage licenses in a search for your hometown. 

Downtown Chicago - Daley Center
50 W. Washington St.
Chicago, IL 60602
Call: (312) 603-7790

West Concourse Level - 113
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m

• Marriage Licenses, Domestic Partnerships
    model4u
    by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I guess we are kinda screwed oh well

model4u
    by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM

really ok cool I will look.. so I guess I am kinda confused I know you get a license to go and get married but what if you dont plan on going to get married and you just want to get married atthe courthouse and get the certificate

Quoting ToraMay:

The place your getting it from must be open on Saturday... this one is... I dont know if theres one closer, look for the vital records office closest to you... or type marriage licenses in a search for your hometown. 

50 W. Washington St.
    Chicago, IL 60602

Sparkey6987
    by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM

You still have to get the license first.

Quoting model4u:

really ok cool I will look.. so I guess I am kinda confused I know you get a license to go and get married but what if you dont plan on going to get married and you just want to get married atthe courthouse and get the certificate

Quoting ToraMay:

50 W. Washington St.
    Chicago, IL 60602

•  

model4u
    by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM

So you get the license and do you just not get it signed by anyone or do they just sign it there

Quoting Sparkey6987:

You still have to get the license first.

Quoting model4u:

Quoting ToraMay:

50 W. Washington St.
    Chicago, IL 60602

•  

jajumommy2000
    by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I also live in IL and have gotten married in 2 diff counties. To get the license, which you have to do whether you have a traditional wedding or not, you go to the courthouse. We went during my exDHs lunch break. I do know that here you have to have a 48 waiting period between obtaining the license and getting married. Also, I dont think you will be able to get married at the Ch on the weekends since they are close. Plus most CHs only do them on certain days during certain times. GL though and like PP said, check the county website where you live!!!GL!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)