Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

7 month old, 103 fever!!!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM
  • 31 Replies

My DS, 7 months, has spiked a nasty fever.  He's been warm all day (bounching between 99 and 100) so I gave him tylenol.  Now he's about to cut another tooth, you can see it RIGHT below the gum.  Is 103 too high for teething?  I gave him some more tylenol.  If it's not down in 30m-1h I'm considering taking him to the ER.  Would you go at 103 or keep him home and monitor the fever?  Ugh, this is the first time he's ever had a high fever so I'm mildly panicky.

ETA:  He has no other symptoms.  He's been a little cranky and clingy today but nothing else.  He's eating fine and his diapers are normal. 

Update.
   Well it looks like he takes after me.  I called my mom ( a nurse) this morning, and she said I would get really bad fevers the night that my tooth would arrive.  103 was pretty common for me.  Sure enough I checked him a few minutes ago, and he now has his 3rd tooth making it's first appearance this morning.  His fever is way down now, at 100.6!  

by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Bump 

americanpeso
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Tylenol won't break a fever over 102. Anything over that you should use Motrin for. But both of my ds's have had fevers that high while teething. Good luck mama.

MeganRoggero
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:15 AM

I would say just watch him and see how it goes, a feaver of 104 could be worry some if you can't get it down but i wouldn't worry too much. feavers are good, how is he acting / feeling if he is acting normally then don't worry if he is acting srange, sranger than normal with cutting teath, I would take him to the er

barbaraperez
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM

when my son was a baby i would alternate tylenol and motrin every 4 hours,it usually worked.

katzmeow726
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM

He's been a lot more clingy the last couple of days, but I really think that's the teething.  Just a few hours ago we were playing before bed time and the little goober was giggling and having a ball.  He's cranky...but then again I would be too if I had a tooth coming in.

Quoting MeganRoggero:

I would say just watch him and see how it goes, a feaver of 104 could be worry some if you can't get it down but i wouldn't worry too much. feavers are good, how is he acting / feeling if he is acting normally then don't worry if he is acting srange, sranger than normal with cutting teath, I would take him to the er

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Honestly if his only symptom is a fever of 103 the highest there isnt much the er will do but give him tylenol to break his fever...and you can do that at home! If your house is warm just leave him in a diaper so it doesnt increase his temp...if it starts to rise put a cool cloth on his head or give him a luke warm bath... continue to give tylenol as needed.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Proud Mommy to Hannah & Taylon, wifey to my military man Bobby, and veteran!

CarTan
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM

My husband is a nurse and he said take the little one to the ER.  A temp that high could be critical. If it gets much higher he could start to seizure.

sharisse
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM

if you gave him tylenol, try giving the motrin to him now. Alternating works best. A fever is not always a bad thing, but if it gets any higher or doesnt go down, call the after hours line if your doc has one or call the ER and see what they say.

ETA: he may cry, but cool cloths in his arm pits, head, groin area may help, and take his socks off if he has some on.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Really, because I use to worry over everything and three times I have taken my kids to the er for high temps (over 103) and they said there wasnt anything they can do but break the fever. Everyone of the drs said it isnt uncommon for children to have high fevers and it isnt as dangerous for them as it is to us.... they also said high fevers were very common for viruses and there is nothing that can be done for a virus but to let it run its course...

to op...if you do go to the er... please give us an update of what they said :-) .. hope little one gets to feeling better!

Quoting CarTan:

My husband is a nurse and he said take the little one to the ER.  A temp that high could be critical. If it gets much higher he could start to seizure.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Proud Mommy to Hannah & Taylon, wifey to my military man Bobby, and veteran!

katzmeow726
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM

We just gave him some tylenol and I'm gonna run a luke warm bath for him.  The house is comfy, and he always sleeps in a diaper anyway!  He's acting totally fine though, he's grinning at me now and babbling.  I'm gonna send DH for some motrin though.

Quoting sharisse:

if you gave him tylenol, try giving the motrin to him now. Alternating works best. A fever is not always a bad thing, but if it gets any higher or doesnt go down, call the after hours line if your doc has one or call the ER and see what they say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)