Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

i think my son broke his pinky finger please help

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

so today my son got his last 3 fingers caught in the door at the dr's office(not a doctor like pediatrician but a sppech therapist). the doors were really heavy he was fine right after and with in 5min the marks that i thought would bruise were gone with no bruses. but his pinky finger was swollen. he could still move it so i thought nothing of it. well that was 8hrs ago and it is still swollen and he does not want me to touch it. and when i do get a chance to toch it it feels a lot different than his other pinky. i am taking him to the dr's tomorrow. but what i wanted to know was what would the dr's do if it was broken? would they cast it? oh he is 2.5yr old.

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brandi2781
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM

I dont think they will do anything. Maybe give him a finger splint, but that is it.

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:39 AM

depends on the break.  They may put a splint.

Poor baby.  In another post a baby's finger was broken to and I think the drs had told her to use Motrin instead of Tylenol for the pain b/c it was also an anti-inflamatory.

Call the dr. too he/she may suggest you go to an urgent care or wherever so that they can do x-rays if they don't have one in office.

((((HUGS))))

abbymomof1
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:41 AM

thanks. i really hope it is not broken. he seems to be using it fine. well he uses every thing but under the very last knuckle. and i do not think that he would keep a splint on:(

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

depends on the break.  They may put a splint.

Poor baby.  In another post a baby's finger was broken to and I think the drs had told her to use Motrin instead of Tylenol for the pain b/c it was also an anti-inflamatory.

Call the dr. too he/she may suggest you go to an urgent care or wherever so that they can do x-rays if they don't have one in office.

((((HUGS))))

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

Bizymom24
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Most likely they will put a finger splint on it. Unless it is broken in alot of places then maybe, maybe you'll have to see an orthopaedic surgeon. But don't get all freaked out yet, I'll bet it will heal just fine with a finger splint. Oh and he probably will have to go for follow up x-rays for a couple weeks after to see how it's healing, I know because I do x-rays and kids come in all the time for follow ups for fractures.

joshlor2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM

my sone fractured the growth plate t the base of the topmost portion of his pinky at school about a month ago...it was swollen and bruised....they splinted it with it's "buddy" and after a few weeks he got out of the stinky splint and it was buddy taped for a few more weeks....he has a follow up again on the 5th and they will re xray it....we only tape it when he is playing out of my sight like in the neighbors yard or outside where he tends to be a little rougher

we were told motrin as well for pain and swelling, but my Ds is one of those kids that really doesn't feel the pain and when he does he doesn't complain (sohe never took any) at school and told the gym teacher and she look it over but at that moment it wasn't swollen or bruised so she told him to run cold water over it and he finished out the day, by the time he got home to me 2- 1/2 hours later it was twice the size.....needless to say I had to go to the school talk to the nurse his teacher and all the teachers he has contact with and stress his high level pain tolerance....4 days before he did that he busted his head open on the play ground and continued to play until he realized he was bleeding...and then he tried to convince the nurse he could go back to class that took 4 stitches

now they send him to the nurse every time

babie113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:49 AM

they wont cast a pinky finger and really theres not alot they can do if it was broke he prolly wouldant be able to move it at all ....

Wifey0713
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Yes definatly use Motrin! it'll keep the swelling down until you can get to a Dr.

Sorry about your lil boy! hope hes okay!

PsychologyMama
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I dont think its broken. My sons finger got stuck in the door. He was screaming his head off and wouldnt bend his finger. I called his pediatrician and rushed him for xrays. I thought it was broke.

Turns out it wasnt broken. Just swollen. She wrapped it w/ the finger next to it as a sling and had me give him tylenol. He was fine by the next day.

Hope your little man feels better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)