Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At what temperature should a child be taken to the hospital?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 3:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am wondering how high of a temperature that a 4 year old child can have before the hospital will see the child in the emergency room?

I have a call into his dr.s office after hours number but they say it could take an hour.

My son is running a 104.1 temperature. Should I take him in or wait until morning to take him to his dr?

He has had a cold and a bad cough for over a week now. The past few days he would wake up with a slight fever but after a dose of motrin the rest of the day would be fine.

Not today. His fever won't go away and it is high.

We got home from daycare and he asked me to turn off the lights because it hurt them and he slept for hours.

The motrin helps slightly and so do the luke warm baths but doesn't really break the fever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:00 AM

I should add that the last few times he has gotten sick he ran a fever and i ended up taking him in and his illness turned to an ear infection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

eyeheartsin
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:01 AM

If nothing is helping his fever, 104 is def. high enough to take to the ER. Hope he gets well soon!

jothra
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Have you tried Tylenol? You can call the ER and ask to see if they will tell you whether or not to bring him in. My ped told me to alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours.

Abbysmommy0208
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:03 AM

I would say go ahead and take him in. You just never know with kids and with all the virus's and infections going around you just never know. My daughter is only 2 but her pediatrician always tells me if it gets above 101 to take her to the er. You just never can tell. Hope he gets better soon though.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:04 AM

A temperature that you cant get to go down (ex. a lukewarm bath and Tylenol doesn't bring down) your child is dehydrated, has a seizure or is lethargic, has another alarming symptom in conjunction with temp. My daughter had a 105 temp once...I rushed her to the er but they didn't do anything but give her Tylenol.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Proud Mommy to Hannah & Taylon, wifey to my military man Bobby, and veteran!

roodae_momma
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:06 AM
u should take him in. They told me 104 is bad kids can start seizing. Hope he gets better
baby

baby

baby development
EclecticBroad
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:07 AM

Does his temp respond well to Motrin or Tylenol?  Does it go down a good bit?  You can wipe his head hands and feet with a lukewarm washcloth or put in in a lukewarm bath for a short time to help bring it down if it's not responding well to meds.   Considering the history there (I cringe at him being in daycare with that bad of cold symptoms), I'd probably take him to the ER if the fever was a sudden spike.  Otherwise, he needs lots of fluids, bed rest, and time to recover....but if not the ER...definately the doctor.

I hope his fever breaks and he's feeling better soon.

mommaboudreaux
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Take him in.  Especially since nothing is breaking the it, a fever that high can be dangerous.

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM

The tylenol I gave him an hour ago and it has brought his temp down to 103.1.

I just got off the phone with the nurse and she said that she is concerned about pneumonia or bronchitis due to his cough he has had for almost two weeks.

Since the tylenol brought the temp down some she said to call his dr first thing in the morning and see about getting him in. If they are closed to take him to urgent care.

She said if he has any troubles breathing, the temp goes up again to 104-105 and the medicine doesnt help or any other changes to call back and she may have me take him in tonight.

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

EclecticBroad
by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 4:45 AM

That's great advice, and actually that mimics what my daughter did when she had bronchitis.  Her temp spiked and was climping past 105, she woke me up crying in the middle of the night.  I stopped at that temp even thought it was still climbing...got her into a lukewarm bath and gave her medicine.  It did drop to about 103 and stayed there for a couple of days.  The meds they gave for the broncitis helped temendously.

Good luck to your little guy.

Quoting HeartofGold:

The tylenol I gave him an hour ago and it has brought his temp down to 103.1.

I just got off the phone with the nurse and she said that she is concerned about pneumonia or bronchitis due to his cough he has had for almost two weeks.

Since the tylenol brought the temp down some she said to call his dr first thing in the morning and see about getting him in. If they are closed to take him to urgent care.

She said if he has any troubles breathing, the temp goes up again to 104-105 and the medicine doesnt help or any other changes to call back and she may have me take him in tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN