Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a screaming baby on my lap...any suggestions?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM
  • 23 Replies

5 weeks old...

He's not: hungry, wet/poopy, or gassy(used gas drops). He's on reflux meds but it's not even close to time for his next dose. He doesn't want to be rocked, he doesn't want to comfort nurse, he doesn't want his swing or bouncy chair or pacifier. He doesn't want to listen to music. He doesn't want me to hold him but he doesn't want to be put down and he doesn't want to be jiggled or walked with. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

**Update**

After some trial and error i disocvered he wanted to sleep with his head on my shoulder draped diagonally across my chest...weird but it's working!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM

When Willow does that, I just assume it's gas and I put her belly down on my lap with my leg (or knee) in her stomach, providing pressure and pat her back like I'm burping her.

Either that, or just put him down and take a break. Being a stressed out mom isn't going to help. If he's going to scream, let him for a few minutes while you calm down (if you need to), then you will be able to help him more instead of being frustrated, like I would be!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

MarissasMommy20
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM

The 5 S's from Happiest baby on the block!!!!

Swaddle him tightly, pop in a bink, sssshhhhh really loud in his ear, hold him on his side, and, gently jiggle him from side to side! works like a chaaarm.

You could also try turning the radio on static loud or turning on the vaccum!

corbenleesmama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I SO know how you feel! I dealt with this same thing with my 8 week old today she was like this for 3 hours...the only thing that got her settled down was I swadeled her turned out the lights in her room and turned on a fan~just sat there and rocked her!! It seemed like forever, but it worked! Good Luck!

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I rarely get frustrated anymore because I mostly feel sorry I can't help him. I'm guessing his tummy is bothering him in some way and I wish I could do something. He's laying belly down on my lap on the boppy pillow.

Quoting First_One_8_18:

When Willow does that, I just assume it's gas and I put her belly down on my lap with my leg (or knee) in her stomach, providing pressure and pat her back like I'm burping her.

Either that, or just put him down and take a break. Being a stressed out mom isn't going to help. If he's going to scream, let him for a few minutes while you calm down (if you need to), then you will be able to help him more instead of being frustrated, like I would be!

Shabaam_CFC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM

My DS does that right now, and its because i think he has an ear infection. He doesnt want to be put down, right now hes sleeping leaning back, kinda reclined, because if i try to lie him down, he will cry. BUt anywhoo to answer you question, leave the baby sitting up, and uh like turn the tv on as a distraction...i do.

New Mommy to a lovely son Charles (Charlie)

Wifey to my wonderful Husband Ken

and Soldier and SGT in the Army.

MarissasMommy20
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM

imechard
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM

If you have a sling or something similar try that. I would also try to rub his belly clockwise, push his little knees towards his chest and gently move his bum from left to right (does that make any sense, kind of rock his bottom to the left and to the right). I also used to bathe with my boys to make them feel more calm and relaxed with the water slightly warmer than normal (still freezing to me, but it really helped them. I would let them float on their back while holding their heads and shoulders. You could also try gripe water, it helped my oldest out a lot

I hope it gets better, it is no fun when they are feeling icky like that and there really is nothing much you can do

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM

My oldest had fits like this and I would put her in her stoller and walk up and down the garden....When my youngest would have screaming fits...the only thing that would calm him was sitting outside...We would wrap up warm and go sit out on the swing... Can you tell I love the middle 2 most??..lol...(j/k)

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

ajswenson
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I was a big fan of the 5 S's too.  I would swaddle super tight, take into a dark quiet room and then LOUDLY do SHHHHHH in the babies ear.    Putting the baby on your hand on his stomach (football hold) sometimes helps too. 

Other than that, just know that babies do this at this age.  It is VERY common.  Around 12 weeks they just pop out of it.  I know that seems like a long way a way but it will be here before you know it and then the FUN FUN begins.  And I am totally serious. New babies are cute but they don't start getting fun until a few months in.  Good luck and best wishes.

karamille
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM

I have had two babies with A/R.  I can almost guarantee he is having a gastrointestinal problem.   First - Often the first AR med they give you is not effective in treating moderate AR -  only mild.  He may need a stronger med or higher dose.  Second - He may be having a hard time digesting something in his diet.  Best first guess - milk protein.  If you are breastfeeding, cut out all dairy.  If you are formula feeding, he may need to be on a sensitive or hypoallergenic formula.  But I would start with the AR meds first.  Call your ped in the AM and tell them that baby is still crying a lot.  Ask for a change in meds.  It is most likely a problem with meds, since there is already a documented AR problem.   

winter siggy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)