Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: pierce a baby girl's ears?

Options:

yes.

no.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

Please and explain your reasoning. I would also like to know what age you think is appropriate. No arguments please. :]
Just want to know what you think.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meggs8609
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Ear lobes don't always grow at the same rate and i've seen adults who got there ears pierced as infants and small children and they end up with holes that are way off. 

goodson_2008
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I think that I would not do it I would let her make that desicion when she was old enough and  if she wants to do it she can 

axy

i voted no, just because i dont see any reason to give a young child that kind of unnecessary pain. its just for looks, its not going to help her in any way, and if when she gets older she decides that she doesnt want them, she can take them out, yes, but she will always have holes in her ears. were going to wait for our daughter to tell us that she wants her ears pierced, then we will take her to get it done. shell be 4 in april.

ariesp19

i peirced my sons ear at 18 months... and might peirce our other sons ear at 2... if we had a girl, wed do it at 3 months

as of may

treadmilljumping ropescrapbooking

n_o71605
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quoting goodson_2008:

I think that I would not do it I would let her make that desicion when she was old enough andĀ  if she wants to do it she canĀ 

justgg
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

awww click click.............done!

doesn't hurt , they won' t remember

sure 6 + months is good and girl or boy sooo cute

confusedwhy don't ya come over to my page and sign my guestbook?

ANandLPsMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I did it with both kids, one at 6 mths, one at 6 wks.

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, prolife, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

Mamas1stbaby
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM

The people who do the the piercing usually have an age restriction I think the baby has to be @ least 3 or 4 months. I think it's cute for little girls to have their ears pierced. 

I agree though sometimes the piercings don't come out even - The frst holes (from when I was an infant) are not even but nobody pays attention and it doesn't look bad.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I'm not voting because I don't think its "wrong" but I chose not to do it to my daughters when they were little. In my opinion a child should get their ears pierced when they are ready to get it done, but I'm not going to say that its wrong to pierce your child's ears if thats your choice.

judybant
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM

While it's not "wrong"... per se... I DO think it's mean... and what if she doesn't WANT pierced ears later on? Not everyone does want them. Not to mention the fact that I was 14 when I had MINE done, and I didn't (usually, anyway) drip milk or formula into my earlobes, or get food on them, etc... and I got horrible infections in mine, in spite of using peroxide, alcohol, and their "special cleanser" on them 2 and 3 times a day. I can still remember how painful those infections were, and it was because I made the choice to do it to myself.

So then I think... gosh... when my sons ate, didn't matter if it was while nursing, or using a bottle, they'd end up with milk in their ears, and behind their ears, etc... and if that's how most babies eat, and you've got little raw holes in a baby girl's ears... and they get infected... I just shudder at the thought of my baby girl going through the pain that I remember so well, and it was because I CHOSE to do that to her.

People use the excuse, "Well, it's better to do it when she won't remember it happening" etc... so what's next? Eyebrow piercing? How about the tongue? They won't remember that either... HEY! I know! How about a tattoo??? I just don't "get" why... aren't our babies beautiful all on their own? Why do we have to decorate them?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)