Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Research/English loving mamas? HELP! (APA)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM
  • 16 Replies

So. I've been working on this research paper forever. I want to quote something that I can't find a valid source for in ENGLISH. I have a valid source for it in Arabic, but the translations I find are usually forum posts. How would I go about doing that? Citing the Arabic source, or the translation? Or both? Thanks.

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, prolife, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

bump

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I would do both. But maybeif you tell us what it is then one of us could find it in English. HTH

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

ANandLPsMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Quoting amayabrianna:

I would do both. But maybeif you tell us what it is then one of us could find it in English. HTH

Aisha  said: "Allah's Messenger  never hit anything with his hand ever, except when fighting in the path of Allah. Nor did he ever hit a servant or a woman." [Recorded by Ibn Maajah. Al-Albaanee said it is Saheeh.]

This is it in English. I've googled it, shortened it to google etc.. and I can't find anything on a VALID source :( It's driving me nuts!

There are plenty of variations of the translation but it all pretty much adds up to the same thing.

I know the Arabic version comes from the Musnad of Imam Ahmad 6/232.

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, prolife, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

Izzibee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM

You can use both as sources just cite the forum post which has a format for APA.

Per APA Manual 5th Ed.  page 278

Message posted to online forum or discussion group: (following is example from book:

Simons, D. J. (2000, July 14). New resources for visual cognition

[Msg 31].  Message posted to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ visualcognition/message/31

as long as it can be retrieved later there should be no problem with citing in your paper...or so far my professors haven't had a problem...

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Quoting ANandLPsMom:

Quoting amayabrianna:

Aisha  said: "Allah's Messenger  never hit anything with his hand ever, except when fighting in the path of Allah. Nor did he ever hit a servant or a woman." [Recorded by Ibn Maajah. Al-Albaanee said it is Saheeh.]

This is it in English. I've googled it, shortened it to google etc.. and I can't find anything on a VALID source :( It's driving me nuts!

There are plenty of variations of the translation but it all pretty much adds up to the same thing.

What about this site?

http://www.theholybook.org/content/view/8885/2/

This is what it says in the last paragraph:

A'ishah said, "The Messenger of Allah never struck a servant of his with his hand, nor did he ever hit a woman. He never hit anything with his hand, except for when he was fighting Jihad in the cause of Allah. And he was never given the option between two things except that the most beloved of the two to him was the easiest of them, as long as it did not involve sin. If it did involve sin, then he stayed farther away from sin than any of the people. He would not avenge himself concerning anything that was done to him, except if the limits of Allah were transgressed. Then, in that case he would avenge for the sake of Allah.'' Imam Ahmad also recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Not sure if this is the same thing but here is another one:

It says:

He was so great morally that he never hit or humiliated a soul, never beat a woman, never betrayed or lied, never went back on his word or avenged himself.  He was always called 'the truthful and honest one' before bearing the message of Islam, and after becoming a prophet, the values and principles of the Qur’an were the model for his behavior.

http://amrkhaled.net/articles/articles1244.html 

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM

This oneis a kids book butit is in English and it is an actual book:

http://www.islamic-world.net/mkc/ENGBOOK3.DOC 

uglykitty77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Quoting ANandLPsMom:

Quoting amayabrianna:

You should just quote the translation (i,e Translated by so and so...etc) just like if u were quoting from a book that was originally writtin in one language and then translated into english.. is your quote a "Hadeeth" I know it's not from the Quran... I'm pretty sure it's hadeeth

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Here's another:

Respect for the family
Another clue was the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi assallam)'s respect for his family. Ayeshah(R.A.) said:
"The Messenger(sallallahu alaiyhi assallam) of Allah has never beaten a wife or a servant, and he has never hit anything with his hand except when fighting in the cause of Allah." 

I hope some of these help!!

Circe2329
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I often have to cite things that have not been translated into English. I cite the passage in the original language and then offer my own translation into English in the footnotes stressing the fact that it is my own translation. However,  I don't know APA as I use MLA. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)