Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is very scary...(war on terror coming to American soil?)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

WASHINGTON – A top counterterrorism official is warning that al-Qaida and other extremists are working to test U.S. defenses and launch an attack on American soil.

National Counterterrorism Center Director Michael Leiter says the failed Christmas Day attempt to bring down a U.S. airliner is the starkest reminder of that threat.

Leiter said in a statement Saturday that officials "know with absolute certainty" that al-Qaida and others are trying to refine their methods.

The center is part of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. It draws experts from the CIA, FBI, Pentagon and other agencies who try to ensure that clues about potential attacks are not missed.

Terrorism expert Harvey Kushner of Long Island University said a significant concern is that many U.S. airports don't currently have the necessary technology to protect flights from the type of explosives attack attempted on Christmas.

The suspect, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, apparently assembled an explosive device, including 80 grams of Pentrite, or PETN, in the aircraft toilet of a Detroit-bound Northwest flight, then planned to detonate it with a syringe of chemicals. Passengers intervened, and the plan failed.

"What's disturbing about this is we're almost nine years after 9/11 and billions of dollars have been spent and we don't have in place a system which can make us safe in the air," Kushner, chair of the school's Criminal Justice Department told The Associated Press. "You'll never be able to harden the targets to rule out terrorist activity. But we need to spend more money and have more concentration on the dangers in the skies."

What's your thoughts on this?

Heather: We have a great informational call on how to lose weight on January 10th. PM me if you are interested.
Married/got engaged to your S/O less than a year after you started dating? click here!

in lovetoddler boybaby girl

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Makes me wonder where in the world all that money is going???

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Humans can outsmart other humans, no matter how much money is spent. We can outsmart and deter most of their attempts, sure. Its cat and mouse. It's a game to them. We outsmart them, they think of something more scandalous. And the world keeps turning.  

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I know where some of it goes but I think they need to be fully accountable on where most of it is going.

Quoting cmb121906:

Makes me wonder where in the world all that money is going???

Heather: We have a great informational call on how to lose weight on January 10th. PM me if you are interested.
Married/got engaged to your S/O less than a year after you started dating? click here!

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I agree. It's unfortunate.

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Humans can outsmart other humans, no matter how much money is spent. We can outsmart and deter most of their attempts, sure. Its cat and mouse. It's a game to them. We outsmart them, they think of something more scandalous. And the world keeps turning.  

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM

bump

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Quoting pageantgirl3:

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Thank God we have so many soldiers working to keeps us safe. We'd be in a pretty big shithole without them hm? :)

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM

It doesn't surprise me.  The war on terror...  unfortunetly....  will never end. For ever terrorist imprisoned or killed.... 5 more are "created".

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Yep. Is it just me or have you noticed a trend of more violence when there is less troops than when there is more. I dunno. Maybe I should do some research on that and see if I can get some good proof. lol

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Quoting pageantgirl3:

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Thank God we have so many soldiers working to keeps us safe. We'd be in a pretty big shithole without them hm? :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)