Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 screaming puppies

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:10 AM
  • 37 Replies

My dog has puppies on 12/10 and they are now only 3 1/2 wks old. Starting a few days ago she will only feed them once a day the rest of the time she wants to go outside. They try to nurse on everything and just cry and cry. So Dh and I have been giving them warm milk. What else can i do? 12 puppies can go through a gallon of milk fast.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jellybean82
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Do they have teeth?  Maybe they can start on some very soft puppy food mixed with milk?

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Ok, first please please please tell me you aren't giving them cows milk.  So bad for them!  2nd, this is about the time she will start beginning to wean them, if it gets too bad, and she's not sick or anything , you can put her in a crate with them so she can't run off - sounds a little mean for mom, but it works, had to do it with our Heeler, she decided to wean them at 2 1/2 wks lol.  At 4 wks you can take puppy food and make a watery mush out of it and introduce it to them every other feeding so mom gets a break.  I've whelped and cared for quite a few litters so if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me!

Pregnancy%20ticker
AlyssaRob1416
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I am not sure. Are they getting to the age where they can have wet puppy food? They are getting close to weaning age.

Sweet_Britt
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM

are they supposed to drink cows milk *sorry, I dont know*

Have you tried crating them with her or giving her a large enclosed area to lay and nurse them in?

I dont really have helpful advice, so heres a BUMP and I hope someone has some ideas!

**whoops, was writing this before there were replies...lol**

marshsmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Milk is very difficult for them to digest and could cause gastro-intestinal problems.  They need puppy formula which you can purchase at most big box pet stores or from your vet.

babybratnc
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:24 AM

My friend told me to use half puppy formula and half soy milk or goats milk. I make it up in a gallon milk jug. He told me add soft puppy food and let it get mushy. They eat it like they it is going out of style. I tried the crate deal and she was growling and nipping at her puppies.

koolest_mom_of4
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:25 AM

As much as I love puppies this is one of many reasons people should be informed before they step foot in the world of dog breeding. What kind of dog do you have? Anyways I would call the vet and run it by them and see what they suggest & and offer them some moistened puppy food . Good luck

babybratnc
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM

didnt breed intentionally. She is going in in February to get spayed. No more puppies for me. both my girl dogs are getting spayed then. She is half lab and half german shepard.

Quoting koolest_mom_of4:

As much as I love puppies this is one of many reasons people should be informed before they step foot in the world of dog breeding. What kind of dog do you have? Anyways I would call the vet and run it by them and see what they suggest & and offer them some moistened puppy food . Good luck

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Plain puppy formula is best, next is goats milk, it's best to pick one or the other.  If they are eating the puppy food fine then just mix the puppy formula with the food and let it mush for them to eat, also give them water in a shallow dish.  And let mom nurse when she wants.  Is this her 1st litter?  How old is she?

Quoting babybratnc:

My friend told me to use half puppy formula and half soy milk or goats milk. I make it up in a gallon milk jug. He told me add soft puppy food and let it get mushy. They eat it like they it is going out of style. I tried the crate deal and she was growling and nipping at her puppies.

Pregnancy%20ticker
koolest_mom_of4
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Thats good to know :)

Quoting babybratnc:

didnt breed intentionally. She is going in in February to get spayed. No more puppies for me. both my girl dogs are getting spayed then. She is half lab and half german shepard.

Quoting koolest_mom_of4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)