Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colon Cancer

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you know anyone that has had colon cancer?

I just found out a girl I work with has advanced colon cancer. I feel so bad for her I can't even explain it... All I have ever heard about colon cancer is the survival rate is not good.

Please...give me your stories...hopefully I will feel a little better. Literally NO ONE I have ever been close to (worked with/family/etc.) has died... I don't know what to say.. we aren't too close but she is a very nice lady and is married with 3 grown kids.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy.B
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Nobody knows anything?

Ashisexhausted1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

my french teacher had it...while i was in 9th grade she had been 5 years in remisson..but things slowly took a turn for the worst... by the time i hit 10th grade..they found it again..but this time inoperable. but her spirit and positive attitude kept her alive 2 more years. I'm not trying to scare you just telling the truth..

TygerLily62
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

My sister told everyone that she had colon cancer... then we found out that she lied. We were having prayer circles, all of us changed our diets, we were devestated. She told us it was stage 3 and that it had metasticised to her stomach and rectum. Now she says it was just IBS. I'm still not talking to her. I'm so sorry about your co-worker.

OwenNBryMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

A young woman that I went to high school with was diagnosed with advanced stage 5 I think, colon cancer at 22 years old. She fought a hard battle for 2 years and passed away nearly two years ago. One of the reasons the survival rate is so bad is that it is often not diagnosed early. Especially in women under age 50. Best wishes to her and her family.

Trisha-Faye
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with colon cancer.  My stories are not going to make you feel better though.

I will give you the cliff notes version.  My sister was diagnosed with Colon Cancer in April 2004 (2 wks before my mother died of ovarian cancer).  She was 44 and it was stage 4 metasticized in lungs and lymph nodes.  She responded well to treatment and did outive the 22 mth projected life expectancy by quite a bit.  Towards the end the cancer had spread to her brain and died on July 21, 2008.  Actual caused of death was a subdural hemotoma due to a fall, but she was too the point of having to be transfered to a care facility because of the progression of the disease.  She was on heavy heavy dosages of several pain medications and no longer bore any resemblance personality wise or intelligence wise to my big sister.

My father was diagnosed with Colon Cancer on June 30, 2007.  When they went in to look they found the cancer in his rectum, bowels, pelvic wall, stomach lining and liver.  He died in agonizing pain on Sept 5, 2007.  His actual cause of death was a ruptured bowel.

Needless to say everyone in our family (including my then 13 yr old son) have had colonoscopy's done and have to have them every 2-5 yrs.

If you are wanting good info on Colon Cancer go here:

https://www.coloncancernews.org/resources/caregiver-support.aspx?WT.mc_id=org-search

Bascially there are two types of colon cancer..the slow growing type that is preventable by regular screenings and second rarer type that grows very quickly and can go from no polyps to full blown stage 4 in less then 2 yrs..so for this type that normally hits people under 50, screenings have limitted success in prevention.

Brandy.B
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Thank you for the information. I am sorry for your losses.

Quoting Trisha-Faye:

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with colon cancer.  My stories are not going to make you feel better though.

I will give you the cliff notes version.  My sister was diagnosed with Colon Cancer in April 2004 (2 wks before my mother died of ovarian cancer).  She was 44 and it was stage 4 metasticized in lungs and lymph nodes.  She responded well to treatment and did outive the 22 mth projected life expectancy by quite a bit.  Towards the end the cancer had spread to her brain and died on July 21, 2008.  Actual caused of death was a subdural hemotoma due to a fall, but she was too the point of having to be transfered to a care facility because of the progression of the disease.  She was on heavy heavy dosages of several pain medications and no longer bore any resemblance personality wise or intelligence wise to my big sister.

My father was diagnosed with Colon Cancer on June 30, 2007.  When they went in to look they found the cancer in his rectum, bowels, pelvic wall, stomach lining and liver.  He died in agonizing pain on Sept 5, 2007.  His actual cause of death was a ruptured bowel.

Needless to say everyone in our family (including my then 13 yr old son) have had colonoscopy's done and have to have them every 2-5 yrs.

If you are wanting good info on Colon Cancer go here:

https://www.coloncancernews.org/resources/caregiver-support.aspx?WT.mc_id=org-search

Bascially there are two types of colon cancer..the slow growing type that is preventable by regular screenings and second rarer type that grows very quickly and can go from no polyps to full blown stage 4 in less then 2 yrs..so for this type that normally hits people under 50, screenings have limitted success in prevention.

PattyDrinkard
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hello, I was diagnosed with colon cancer on 10-16-2009 .  I had surgery on 12-3-09 and all signs pointed to getting it all except 1 lymph node.  1 out of 18.  I have decided to take chemo therapy to increase my longevity and reduce relapse.   Yeah I never had anybody close to me die either, and I am really not ready to become the first.  Be natural around her, let her be herself.  The hardest thing that I deal with is when people pity me.  I am strong and I plan on living along time.  Please show support but make sure you give her alittle space  this diagnosis is rougher on her that it is you.  It has been in this dianosis that I have found an amazing support system, my family and co-workers.

If I can be of any help please let me know.  I know just how she feels.

krise
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM

My grandmother died from this. It was long, harsh and horrible to live through. The worse i think.

romanceparty4u
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I do.

I am a nurse and know several people that have had colon cancer.

One of them is a close friend-he was a BIIIIIIG man, showed up on my steps one day looking like he was ready for the concentration camp. Never smoked, never drank, never swore. No family history at all. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and not given much of a chance at all.

He almost died that year. He was 40

He is still with us and cancer free at this time. 6 years later. And they told him he probably wouldn't make it.

So.....

Drakes_M0mmy
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM

So sad.

My poppy (grandpa) was diagnosed when I was 10 he'd live for another year until he was gone. It is a brutal cancer and is easily spread.

Al-tho my Granda took him to the doctors 2 years before he was FINNALY diagnosed. They ran test but the doctors told him the cancer was "kidney stones"  a year after the "kidney stone diagnoses" my poppy was so sick my Grandma took him in there and demanded a new series of test be done.

They did, and they found colon cancer... If they would of caught it, and not assumed it was "kidney stones"..He'd be alive today.. But he was too far gone.  The Doctors begged my family not to sue them and we didnt. In the end the doctors paid for all medical care and funeral cost. But all that wont replace my poppy.

I hope maybe your friend caught hers in a early stage.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)