Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone made their own hummus?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

Does it taste as good or better than hummus in the stores? I LOVE hummus but hate paying $8 a container for it to feel like I can't eat that much of it because it'll be gone. I'd rather make some once a week. Do you have any good recipes?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LollipopDream
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM

I want to know too. By the way you are killing me with this post. I had some last week at the synagogue and I have wanted more all week.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Aww I'm sorry. I'm googling my heart out but am not sure what recipes are good or not lol

Quoting LollipopDream:

I want to know too. By the way you are killing me with this post. I had some last week at the synagogue and I have wanted more all week.

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Aww I'm sorry. I'm googling my heart out but am not sure what recipes are good or not lol

Quoting LollipopDream:

I don't know if I dare make it...lol

I am good at cookie, cakes, pies if it's sweet I'm good at it. Everything else I suck at cooking.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:58 AM

My mom and grandma make it homemade all the time.  In my opinion, homemade is WAY better than store bought!  It's pretty easy....chickpeas, tahini sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and...um...I think that's pretty much it.  Good luck!

Lullababy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:58 AM

I take a can of chick peas or a bag of dried chick peas and soak and cook according to the package, place them into a food processor ad salt, tahini (sesame oil) lemon juice and mabe some crushed or fresh garlic and whirl away.  I don't have specific amounts, just a little of everything and taste and add more if needed.  My dc and dh love mine more than the store bought and its so easy and inexpensive to make.

eyeheartsin
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:59 AM

I did once when I was vegan but mine didn't turn out right. It wasn't smooth and kind of thin still. Not sure what I did wrong. We love hummus too, my mom usually gets the canned kind at the ethnic grocery stores it's much cheaper than the regular, refrigerated kind. Also another good chickpea snack is baked chickpeas, they are SO addicting and really easy to make.

dannysgirl77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I rock at making Hummus

americaztopmami
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM

I am Lebanese so I eat hummus all the time. Too bad I don't know my dads recipe.... lol :)

And yes, homemade is WAY BETTER then store bought, especially if its made from someone that knows what their doing.

joci2203
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Yes I have , it was good:)  Certain stores sell the mix for it.

donzgurl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM

It's been a long time since I made it, and I don't have a recipe now, but I remember that it was pretty easy to make and tasted just as good as those that I purchased in the grocery store. I would tweak the recipe to give it the taste that I liked.  The only downfall was that the tahini was somewhat costly, so it is a waste of money if you aren't going to make hummus often. 

You can find several recipes on the internet.  (But I am sure that you already knew that).

Enjoy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)