Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know about electric guitars?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

My dad and my stepmom got the boys some electric guitars for Christmas. One is a rythm and the other is a bass. They did not get the amps for them though.

So, my question is...

Can both guitars use a regular amplifier, or does the bass guitar HAVE to have a bass amplifier?

I am asking because I am trying to find them some small 10watt amps just to play with because their birthdays are coming up really soon and I keep seeing regular amps and bass amps.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommibee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM

It all depends on the quality of the amplifier.  If you are using the guitar and bass for practice only you can buy an amp that can be used for both.  But if you are using it in a band setting I would suggest to get separate amps.  Peavey(sp) is a good starter brand and Fender is as well.  It really depends on what you are going to use them for.

GothyMama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

The sound quality will be MUCH better if you get a bass amp.  I work in a musical instrument store.  I've heard basses plugged into guitar amps and guitars plugged into bass amps.  It sounds TERRIBLE!!  Not to mention, one just isn't designed to handle the other, so you risk burning out the amp a lot faster.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions." --Frater Ravus
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
elaineashlina
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I can disagree with a bass sounding horrible through a guitar amp.
My BF's band who is on tour, their bassest uses a guitar amp. It really all depends on the type of music and what sound your looking for. In my personal opinion if your going to spend the money to buy an amp for both go for the bass amp for the bass.

ERNAProud
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Thank you.

They just need something to play on for a while. It is not a band setting, it is just them strumming a little at home. IF they can behave themselves they may get some lessons also.

They are both total beginners.  The oldest, he has the rythm guitar, is about to be 14 at the end of this month, and my youngest is going to be 10 at the end of this month.

It is not for them to share, I definitely plan on getting them separate ones, it is just that I am frugal and I noticed the bass amps are about twice the price. BUT if all it is going to do is burn out if I get the one with the bass the regular amp, then I would rather just pay the price and get him the bass amp.

TrystansMom314
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM

SO says buy a bass amp.  Check on ebay first.  He says for a 10 year old better to buy a used one and see how he likes the bass before investing into a nicer one.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)