Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Successful Potty Training Stories....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM
  • 5 Replies

Today is day #1 of potty training my son, I would like some ideas, so I want to hear your successful potty training stories!  :D 

Thanks! 

rearfacing-2-son.png

DSC08373.jpg picture by apeharpairman-is-amazing.gif

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JenB1983
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:34 AM

My boys were extremely easy potty trainers.  LOL  I just put them in underwear.  My oldest went from fully diapers to fully day/naps/night trained in less than 2 weeks.  My youngest did the same, in a WEEK.  Exactly 10 days from the first day I started PTing him we went on a 5 day trip to DisneyWorld.  Not a single accident the entire time.

But seriously....underwear.  That's all I did.  No diapers, no pullups.  Just underwear and LOTS of spare clothes.  The first 2-3 days are messy.  But after that they really figured it out.  With both of them it only took one BM accident before they figured out the toilet was MUCH better.  Because I would make them rinse out their poopy pants.  I didn't poop in them, I wasn't cleaning them out.  I never did bribes with them either. 

Good luck!  Hopefully your son takes to it as well as mine.  LOL

asil
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:35 AM

well, our now 2.5 year old was trained with infant potty training (EC) since birth, along with our 14 month old.  both are diaper free, with the exception of our 14 month old at bed and nap time. (or on LONG car rides... we live in WI, it's just too cold to pee outside! ha!)

no matter the age, what worked for us is going naked.  play naked, sleep naked, eat naked (yet covered).  i put towels on the chairs and couch, and put a blanket down for easy clean  up if an accident should happen.  the potty chair was in the living room, and it worked well.  if you notice your LO seeming like they have to go, take them to the chair.  if they start going on the floor, take them to the chair.

it's really all about your child understanding the "feeling" of needing to go, and going... and what you as a parent do for them.

my 14 month old will say "pee" and i know that i have about 1 minute to get to a chair before she pees.  poo is a bit easier, because we have longer to get there.  but both my girls responded well to being naked, and having me available to assist them with their needs.  i would say we were nakie with each for about 3-6 days, and they were then moved to training pants or undies (they don't make stuff small enough for my 14 month old, so she gets the bottoms of dresses, the little bloomers! too cute)

good luck to you.  different things work for different kids, so this may have worked for us, but may be a disaster for you... you'll have to try a few things to see what he responds to.

we never did candy or treats as a reward.  we did do stickers, and lots of clapping and dancing.  my 2.5 year old even has come up with a little song!

PROUD OWNER OF...
baby/toddler coupons and more!... Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more! http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682 

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/2625

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh. http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

moms against cow's milk... a group for moms who choose, or have to remove cow's milk from their diet, or their child's.  benefits, alternatives, and comments!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/103768/  

mommyofblueyes
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Thanks for replying ladies!  I think my biggest problem  is that my son has speech issues, so he is not talking.  I am trying my hardest to teach him to say pee and poo, but so far, no luck.  Hopefully he will get it though!  I am trying the method where I let him run around naked, and sit him on the potty every 15 minutes.  Oh boy...this is going ot be a long week!  ;) 

MommytoNandA
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:58 AM

My son was a really tough one to potty train.  Finally we did a sticker chart (I got it at the teachers supply), and that combined with treats worked for us.  We also told him we would get him a fishy tank to go in his room when he was all done with potty training.  That was more incentive for him than anything else b/c he really wanted that fish tank.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Thanks for replying ladies!  I think my biggest problem  is that my son has speech issues, so he is not talking.  I am trying my hardest to teach him to say pee and poo, but so far, no luck.  Hopefully he will get it though!  I am trying the method where I let him run around naked, and sit him on the potty every 15 minutes.  Oh boy...this is going ot be a long week!  ;) 

maidenmouse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:03 AM

As with the first post underwear!!!! no pull ups ect. I put the potty in the livingroom so he did not have to do the communication if he did not want to he just went to the potty. He was trained in 2 days. I have 2 older kids and did the same it was done in no more than a week and a half.

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)