Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be going to your kid's school over this?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
  • 22 Replies

Today my son came to me and said that he was reading a play at school and when he got stuck on a word he tried to sound it out. Well his teacher called him over and said "Do you need help?" He said no then she said " Well when ppl read out loud it makes them look stupid and wierd." Im really pissed at him for waiting until effin Christmas break to tell me this and my husband thinks its too late to say something to her when school starts back up. I just dont know what to do but Im upset and my son even tried sticking up for her by saying "Mom can we please give her another chance 'cause I think she was having a bad day and I dont want her to not like me if you go and be mean to her." Your thoughts?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BootsandShoots
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:28 AM

So was he supposed to be reading outloud? It sounds to me like she was trying to help him not feel bad about not being able to pronounce the word. Like.."oh everyone who reads outloud sounds stupid sometimes" Stupid is definately the wrong word choice..and i would talk to her about that.. 

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM

i'd say something still.....i wouldn't care.

tam84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Quoting BootsandShoots:

So was he supposed to be reading outloud? It sounds to me like she was trying to help him not feel bad about not being able to pronounce the word. Like.."oh everyone who reads outloud sounds stupid sometimes" Stupid is definately the wrong word choice..and i would talk to her about that.. 

I dont think he was supposed to be reading out loud and I dont have a problem with him getting in trouble for being a disruption if thats the case,but to use the word stupid coming from a teacher to a 9 year old is not cool like you said.

tam84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

i'd say something still.....i wouldn't care.

My husband thinks he should handle it so I dont "get into trouble." He's probably right.

momaof8
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM

I would talk to her. I would also be concerned about why my son was afaid there would be repurcusions.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

Jenniy
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM

I'd go to the school and talk to the teacher about it, she might have been having a bad day but that doesn't excuse her actions at all.

baby growth

baby

baby

tam84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Quoting momaof8:

I would talk to her. I would also be concerned about why my son was afaid there would be repurcusions.

I am concerned about many things! I know he wears his heart on his sleeve and there are days when every little thing hurts his feelings,but still...Ugh I tell you there are days when I just wish it were as simple as just homeschooling my kids but thats not the answer to everything or for everyone.

tam84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Quoting Jenniy:

I'd go to the school and talk to the teacher about it, she might have been having a bad day but that doesn't excuse her actions at all.

It sure doesnt bc I know for a fact that if it were theother way around and I was just having a bad day it wouldnt stop the school from calling CPS on me if they thought I was being "verbally abusive" and wanted to investigate further.

mrssniffles
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:13 AM

When my son was grade school they were doing a project with all of the classes and sitting on the floor in the middle of a big room, all the third grade teacher were there watching the children, as they were going over what the children were to do, my son missed what was being said, so he asked the child next to him, the teacher closest to him gave him a kick in his back with her pointed shoe to quite him, now my son is now seventeen and doesn't weigh 70 pounds and is still very tiny so you can imagin how small he was then, he came home and told me I was so upset that I went to the school principle and I guess they talked to the teacher, the next time she saw my son she got in his face and told him because of what I said to the principle she almost lost her job, the reason Iam telling you this is because I let it go I didn't want to make it worse on my son, to my regret to this day I should have done more, don't be afraid to stand up for your child, take it all the way if you have too, they are that important

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:20 AM

This...

Quoting momaof8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)