Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please keep this little 5 year boy in you thoughts and prays he has lost every thing

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

GREENWICH -- A 5-year-old Greenwich boy will start the new year without his family after a house fire early Saturday killed his parents, brother and sister.

Quantcast

Daniel Schunatz, lone survivor of a blaze that gutted his family's trailer home at Pin Oak Estates in northern Richland County at around 6:30 a.m., was taken to MedCentral/Mansfield Hospital and then flown to Akron General Hospital. His condition was not available Saturday afternoon.

Lost in the Clayberg Road fire were the boy's parents, John and Lisa Schunatz, and siblings Jeffery, 6, and Valerie, 4.

Raymond Reed, manager of the mobile home park, said the Schunatz family had lived in the park for about five years.

He was somber as he watched Franklin Township firefighters work. "I don't know what to say," he said. "I'm at a loss for words. It's just a horrific thing."

State Fire Marshal spokesman Shane Cartmill said the origin and cause of the fire have not been determined. Cartmill said the home had no smoke detectors.

Twelve-year-old Chris Carsey, who'd stayed over with a friend next door, said he and others tried to warn the Schunatz family before emergency crews arrived.

"I was with my friend Steve across the street and he walked out to take his girlfriend to work and we saw it all ablaze," he said. "We were screaming, 'Fire! Fire!' She called 9-1-1. We pounded on the windows. I could hear one kid in the back screaming. We would have gone in, but we were afraid we'd get in trouble or be killed.

"We got a log and broke one of the windows and smoke just poured out."

Members of the Franklin Township Fire Department pulled all three children out of the trailer and performed CPR, Chief Steve Rahall said.

Josh Hunt, 19, said the fire brought him sprinting out of his grandmother's home, which faces the Schunatz residence.

"I saw the screen door blow out and the air conditioner damn near exploded," he said. "Never saw anything like it."

He watched a conscious Daniel being pulled from the trailer.

"He was covered in soot and was really quiet," he said. "Later, I heard the medics asking him questions and he was answering them.

"When they pulled Jeffery out, he was just limp."

Hunt's grandmother, Betty Hughes, 55, said she was afraid the blaze would spread to her home.

"It was burning from the living room back," she said. "It all happened so quick."

Hughes said she has been friends with the family since they moved in.

"Their kids would come over, and they all called me 'Grandma,' " she said. "If I had something to give them, I would, 'cause they were all just real little. Lisa and I both smoke, so we'd meet and talk. We'd borrow things from each other. I just can't believe she's gone."

Hughes said John Schunatz, a truck driver, had just arrived home Friday afternoon.

"I passed him in his truck when he was pulling in," she said. "He just waved and smiled."

Hughes said Lisa Schunatz was a stay-at-home mom.

Around 7:15 a.m., Chris Carsey's sister Victoria, 13, went to fetch Lisa's mother, who also lives at Pin Oaks.

"She didn't say anything," Victoria said. "She just started to cry."

The bodies of John and Lisa Schunatz were brought out around 11 a.m.

Richland County Coroner's Office investigator Bob Ball said the bodies were sent to Summit County for autopsies, which may be completed by Monday.

Rahall said he was unsure how long it took emergency crews to get the blaze under control. Despite temperatures in the teens, Rahall noted it was not windy.

Crews from Savannah, Shiloh and Mansfield assisted, as did the Richland County chapter of the American Red Cross.

Hughes guessed the family's woodburning stove may have caused the fire.

"I kept telling Lisa, 'That thing's dangerous,' " Hughes said. "It was an old woodburner that just burned all day and night."

Rahall was unsure whether the woodburner was the cause.

"With trailers, the fire just really gets to them in a matter of minutes because of the wood," he said. "They're usually just constructed from two-by-twos."

Hughes said she witnessed a smaller fire in the park a few years ago.

"But this is the worst we've ever had out here," she said. "What a sad way to start the new year."

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitch576
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM

omg that poor little boy "{

crying

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS

come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM

OMG that is so sad :(

shabby.chic
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM

:(

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

raegansmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM

That is terrible.  I hope he has other family that can take him in, the poor little guy has already lost so much!

Lace2180
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Quoting mitch576:

omg that poor little boy "{

crying

Hanaas_mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM

omg that is so sad

Mom2nas710
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM

this just breaks my heart , sooo sad :(simple frown

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM

That poor baby. Sigh. This is just so terribly sad.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:53 AM

How horrible. That poor kid.

mitch576
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

this little man needs everyone's prayers right now.. whether you pray or not.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS

come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)