Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training advice- anyone

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM
  • 16 Replies

I'm going to start potty training my son soon. He'll be 2 on tuesday. Any advice? I need all the help I can get. I was thinking of starting out by putting him on the potty every 2 hours for 10 minutes. But I've also got a 4 month old who has reflux and crys all day long, so I'll defenitely have my hands full.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Yeah I have advice. Wait.

YOu certainly might get him to use the potty on occasion by placing him there, but IME

until a kid is ready only MOM is potty trained.

And 2 is a bit early. It leads to both participants being frusterated.

I potty trained 4 kids-and each took only about a week.  My youngest took a DAY.

Because I waited until they were ready.  That time ranged from 27 months to 36 months depending on the child.

rainbowmommy713
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

DON'T USE PULL-UPS!!!

They are a complete waste of money. I wasted so much money and time trying to potty train my son with those. Just put him in undies (maybe some with characters that he likes, or let him pick them out himself) and expect a mess for the first few days. Honestly, I would try to put him on the potty a lot more frequently than every 2 hours. That's a long long time to a 2 year old. Maybe try every 30 minutes or so at first and go from there! Good luck!!

duejan13th
by ♥Jessica♥ on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

w my son we put him on the potty every 20 mins. cause he pees all the time. and when i know hes gonna poo

lindzgayle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I think that sounds like a LONG time for a 2 year old to sit in one place, let alone an uncomfortable potty!

We gave my son a potty chair when he turned 2, and he dutifully ignored it until he was almost 3. He then started going on the grownup potty, on his own. I thought I was a failure, LOL, and then it just magically happened!

I've heard that if you show your kids that poop goes in the potty, it helps. I've recently started emptying my daughter's dirty diapers in the potty and letting her flush it, so she knows that poop goes in there. So far, so good.

Good luck!

VJennyLynnS
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I am in the same boat you are. I have two little girls one thats a little over 2 years old and one that is 8 months. I don't think my daughter is ready and that is why I havn't really started trying yet. I want to wait until the youngest one is crawling before I try because she thinks she needs constant attention. I have started trying to get her interested in the potty a little bit and she follows me into the bathroom and I have explained what happens and what you do and all that. I bought an elmos potty time DVD that she loves to watch. Almost everytime she watches the video she wants to go sit on her potty. I think its adorable. I think she is just about ready and by the time my youngest is crawling I think it will be perfect timing. Sorry I don't have any advice on what to do.. i'm not to that stage yet. but i have heard that you should put them on the potty every 30 minutes or so..

duejan13th
by ♥Jessica♥ on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

then you would have a cow at my house. we somtimes put him on every 15 mins.. cause he pees that often.... and he pees everytime

Not.So.Virginal
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM

he may not get it for awhile, so be ready for that. I was all excited to get my son a potty seat before he was 18 months. I thought I'd have him in underwear before he was 2..... well, he turned 3 almost 2 months ago and we're still potty-training.... although he's ready for it now and does great.

at that age, he may be more willing to go if he gets stickers as a reward.... my son LOVED that stickers that actually came with his potty.

Ethansmommy1987
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

he has gone in the potty before. But I had just had a baby and couldnt keep it up. And he does sit for a long time. I know that 2 does sound kind of young but he does show interest in using the potty so I want to do it now while he's interested.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I'd wait. Unless he's giving you signs that he's ready. Because unless he's ready, it will NOT be as pleasant an experience than if you waited. My eldest was almost 3 when he trained, he was standing and independent by the time he was 3. So really it didn't take long. Because he was ready. My younger son wanted to be like his brother (wearing underwear) he was just 2 1/2, my dh wanted to train him, I wanted to wait, so we struck a deal, if he trained him, I'd do the laundy (because I didn't think he was ready). Well he showed me up! He was trained during the day at 2 1/2, standing from the git-go. (he's a heavy sleeper, the waking up at night to go, took a bit longer). As I recall, each boy was trained within 2 maybe 3 weeks. 

Trust me when I tell you...wait until their ready.

Good luck

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Thats my advice too. You may just be setting yourself up for aggrevation.

I have 3 potty trained kids. they all just did it when they were ready(ater months of me talking to them about what was expected of them and why). I honestly couldn't imagine being strapped to a potty chair all day hoping to "catch it". And then the mess it makes when you don't...really no thanks.

All of my kids just did it when they were ready, we've never had accidents and we never had to plan our day around getting to a potty every so often.

good luck.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Yeah I have advice. Wait.

YOu certainly might get him to use the potty on occasion by placing him there, but IME

until a kid is ready only MOM is potty trained.

And 2 is a bit early. It leads to both participants being frusterated.

I potty trained 4 kids-and each took only about a week.  My youngest took a DAY.

Because I waited until they were ready.  That time ranged from 27 months to 36 months depending on the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)