Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Determining the Paternity of My Niece...via DNA Sample at the Funeral Home

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM
  • 31 Replies

Yesterday morning, my family and I arrived at the funeral home for my brother's wake about 15 minutes before it was going to start.  The funeral director tells my oldest brother that the girlfriend's father was there earlier and took scrapings off my brother LAYING IN THE CASKET so a DNA test could be done to see if the 5 month old baby girl was really my brother's child! Interestingly, the girlfriend's father told the funeral director to not tell my family he was there as he did not want to upset our family.

WTH??!!!  We all believe the baby is my (dead) brother's.  In fact, she was given his last name

Why would anyone do to doing such a thing at such an awful time?

Do you bring home the bacon while he fries it up in the pan?  Check out the Working Moms with SAHDs group!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildsissy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM

woah woah woah.. I don't even know what to say.. that is HORRIBLE.. I wonder if she's questioning it herself...??

pregnant belly

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Is your brother on the baby's birth certificate????  If not maybe the father was doing that in order to have DNA proof that the baby is his for social security etc.  Although I'm not so sure that the way the did it would stand up in court -- there's an actual procedure but he may not know that and somebody may have told him that he needed the DNA for legal reasons.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

she may be thinking if she isnt his, then she can go and get child support from the bio dad... meaning she knows she must have cheated on your brother and isnt 100% sure that she is his so she wants to make sure before filing claims against this other man

KWIM?

kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Because once he is in the ground, it's much harder to test for that stuff.

Nevertheless, it was bad timing, they should be more respectful. ANd I don't see how what he did was even lawful, I would think they would need someone's consent other than the funeral directors.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Is your bro on the BC?

Hetaira
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Well not matter what you or your family believes if the child's mother wants any legal rights to your brother's social security, inheritance, etc she needs LEGAL proof that he's the father, in other words a paternity test.  However it also needs to be done by a medical professional in order to be legal.  There can also be a test done of the paternal mother and that can determine paternity as well.  My two oldest children's uncle died while his gf was pregnant and that was what she did to establish paternity, otherwise she wasn't even able to put his name down as the father on the birth certificate. 

All that being said I have no idea wth that man was doing messing with your brother of why the hec the funeral home even let him!!!

And I'm sorry for your loss. 

CafeMom Tickers
phoeber
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Maybe it was just her dad and she doesnt know. Sometimes parents can do horrible things and sometimes ppl do to. Maybe her dad wanted to be sure that your brother is the daddy in an off chance his daughter went elsewhere. I am sorry for your loss and that someone could do that.

Not.So.Virginal
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM

kind of seems like the last time they could get a DNA sample from him.....

but that is VERY wrong of them to just show up and take a DNA sample without anybody's consent. If there was a paternity issue, it should have been taken care of earlier.

and why is there a paternity issue to begin with? What does she hope to gain by proving that it is or is not his daughter? Obviously if it's not then she can get child support from the real father.... but if he is (which seems to be the consensus) then why not just let it be? Is she trying to get his life insurance or something?

AngelaEdmoms
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM

THATS HORRIBLE, First of all Im sorry for your losss, and second of all what in the world are people thinking these days. Even IF she had doubts this is not the time to air them out, this is a time of remembrence not drama OH MY I am so sorry girl. good luck!

Not.So.Virginal
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Now that I think about it, in order to prove in court that the DNA is truly your brother's (unless his DNA is already in a database) they would also have to test one of your family members the correct way. And in that case, they could have seen that there was a familial match to the DNA of the baby, even without having to test him.....

again, how rude of them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)