Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Website designers

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am trying to build a site for my business. Well, my brother in law will be building it. I am looking at templates that other people have designed and I will have my brother in law duplicate it with minor changes. Is there a problem with copyright if he creates the code completely on his own, even if the two layouts look almost exactly alike? 

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
StarsChildren
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Are we talking layouts in as in the way the navigation/pics/information/contact is laid out or layouts as in pre-made websites where all the graphics and backgrounds are the same?

If its just how its laid-out in where things are put, no there is no problem with that. If he uses the graphics from another site and duplicates them (places them on his site), then yes, there would be copyright issues potentially if the website he copies them from has copyrighted the designs.

I am a Buddhist, Child Led Parenting, All Natural Kinda Mom

Check Out These Groups:

Well Rounded Moms
; Buddhist Mamas ; Natural Earth Mamas ;
Natural Pregnancy & Childbirth
; *Raising Intact Boys* ; Choosing Not To Vaccinated

chais_wifey
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Quoting StarsChildren:

Are we talking layouts in as in the way the navigation/pics/information/contact is laid out or layouts as in pre-made websites where all the graphics and backgrounds are the same?

If its just how its laid-out in where things are put, no there is no problem with that. If he uses the graphics from another site and duplicates them (places them on his site), then yes, there would be copyright issues potentially if the website he copies them from has copyrighted the designs.

I'm talking about the way the navigation/pics/information/contact is laid out. We will use our own graphics or stock graphics. 

StarsChildren
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Quoting chais_wifey:

Quoting StarsChildren:

I'm talking about the way the navigation/pics/information/contact is laid out. We will use our own graphics or stock graphics. 

Then there should be no problem... there are 100s of sites that are laid out the same with just different graphics.

Check Out These Groups:

Well Rounded Moms

chais_wifey
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Quoting StarsChildren:

Quoting chais_wifey:

Quoting StarsChildren:

Then there should be no problem... there are 100s of sites that are laid out the same with just different graphics.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure as a copyright infringement suit is not the best way to launch my company =)

StarsChildren
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Quoting chais_wifey:

Quoting StarsChildren:

Quoting chais_wifey:

Quoting StarsChildren:

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure as a copyright infringement suit is not the best way to launch my company =)

Your welcome... and best of luck with your business!

Check Out These Groups:

Well Rounded Moms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)