Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear Piercing....(Slight language)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM
  • 32 Replies

My almost 7 year old daughter has been non stop asking for me to get her ears pierced so I finally gave in and told her we could, knowing I would hear the never ending rants from my ex MIL.  So I decided to let them go over there for the weekend and then Sunday I would take her down and get her ears pierced to avoid getting into it with the ex MIL.  So I go to pick the girls up on Saturday and my daughter says once again...."I want to go get my ears pierced."  I said, OK.  My ex MIL looks at me and says..."So your going to do it??!! I thought you were going to wait until she was older and old enough to ask for herself."  Ummmmm, what the hell did she just do?!!!  Which is what I said to her and she was not happy.  She continued to bug me about her not being able to take care of them and so on and so on and I explained to her that even though she wants to treat these girls like babies they are not and my daughter is more than capable of taking care of her ears.  I will gladly help her take care of them and I'm sure once I show her how to turn them she will do it on her own!  Not to mention this is MY child and it's not like I'm taking her to get a tattoo or have her nose pierced or anything so I don't see the big deal. 

I didn't get their ears pierced when they were babies because she thought it wasn't fair to them because they couldn't say whether they wanted them or not, fine, I agreed.  But now my daughter is 7 and is wanting them done.  She also wanted her hair cut short and my ex MIL gave me hell about that too.  The woman does not understand that these are MY kids and I will do what I want.  I would understand if I were doing things that were unstable or unsafe for them but come on, cutting their hair and getting ears pierced...is no reason for debate in my opinion. 

Am I wrong here?  I understand she is their grandmother and has every right to voice her opinion but these things seem silly to be getting angry over.  She is a girl and wants to try new things, shouldn't we be encouraging that?  Oh and I did have her hair cut short, not too short since it is winter but it's to her shoulders and I am taking her today to get her ears pierced. :)

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tatumsmommy0123
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM

When it comes down to it, YOU are her mother.  YOU have the final say in what goes on.  Your ex MIL can suck it 

retro-4-1.gif picture by kbbgmom

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM

If shes your EX MIL then who gives a shit what she thinks.

Hetaira
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM

They are your kids.  Not your exMIL's.  You do what you think is right.  I agree with what you're doing.  Your daughter may only be 7 and not necessarily old enough to make certain decisions on her own.  However I think it's important to teach a child how to make decisions, good decisions, to give them some independence and control over their lives when appropriate.  Letting a child decide how to cut their hair (which isn't permanent) or get their ears pierced (which can be permanent but is still minor) is healthy IMO.  But regardless of what your exMIL or I think they're your children. 

CafeMom Tickers
mamacita4two
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM

lol she would hate my

my daughter got her ears pierced @ 2 yrs old

This mommy is a CIO sometimes,pro-choice,extended rear facing AND Forward facing sometimes,Time-out,Vaccinating,Married to a man that would make you jelous,Breastfeeding in public,Stay At Home,Tattoo'd And Pierced,Honest yet Respectful,My house aint THAT clean, Young Mother of two beautfil Girls <33

Current Young Mothers! come join the fun and give some advice! No post goes unanswered* No-one is ignored!

AFWifeNMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Good for you, tell your daughter that this is a "big girl" thing and now that she is old enough she can do it if she wants. She will love it that she is old enough now and she will feel like a "big girl".

Oh and tell your MIL to shove it!

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM

If she wants it done, and is asking for it, then your ex-MIL needs to butt out. I think she is old enough, not that my opinion really matters anyway, seeing as how it is YOUR child. Make a fun mother-daughter day and take her to lunch and shopping afterwards. That is what I intend to do with my DD when she is old enough to ask for it herself.

StarSterling
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

It's a decision that should be made without the MIL involved. I will say that piercing guns are actually quite dangerous, and are capable of spreading bloodborne pathogens and diseases. Working as a body piercer, I can tell you the pros and cons of all different methods, but there are no pros that I have found about piercing guns. (Which is what is widely used to pierce ears outside of piercing/tattoo shops.)

The post of the jewelry is too short, it's very blunt, (which causes micro spray.) and they are generally gold. Most people think gold is the best thing to use for a healing earring, but it's not. It contains nickel and can cause allergic reaction and infection in a new piercing. I'm by no means trying to dissuade you from piercing your DD's ears, just telling you know the dangers of the method widely used.

HuntersMomee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

so would it be safer at a tatoo/piercing place? what do the doctors use that do it?

I am taking my daughter this month to do it and wanna go about it the best way ( no one bash or question me about it, it is my decision and you won't change my mind )

Quoting StarSterling:

It's a decision that should be made without the MIL involved. I will say that piercing guns are actually quite dangerous, and are capable of spreading bloodborne pathogens and diseases. Working as a body piercer, I can tell you the pros and cons of all different methods, but there are no pros that I have found about piercing guns. (Which is what is widely used to pierce ears outside of piercing/tattoo shops.)

The post of the jewelry is too short, it's very blunt, (which causes micro spray.) and they are generally gold. Most people think gold is the best thing to use for a healing earring, but it's not. It contains nickel and can cause allergic reaction and infection in a new piercing. I'm by no means trying to dissuade you from piercing your DD's ears, just telling you know the dangers of the method widely used.

BamaMom26
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Thanks ladies!!!  That is exactly how I feel about it.  My children=My decison.

StarSterling
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Yes it absolutely be safer. Though I personally don't know of any legitimate piercing/tattoo shops that will pierce ears below age 13. (My DD will have to wait if she wants them lol.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)