Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for hubby bringing lunch...no fridge

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 5 Replies

My hubby drives a tow truck, 50 hours a week. He has no fridge and is on the road...So Im trying to figure out things to make him for lunch were it will be ok. I have made lunchmeat sandwiches, and put mayo on the side for him....but any other ideas? It was always easier for him to just get something on the road and eat it...but we have a new years resolution, no fast food! Plus its been costing like sometimes over $50 a week.

So Im looking for ideas that dont have to be refridgerated, he has to be able to eat with one hand...since hes usually driving...I think you get what Im asking...

Thanks!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AFWifeNMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Almost all Lunchables can be eaten without heating. They are small but if he brings lots of snacks it should be slow. You could make him a salad with the dressing on the side. Maybe cut up some meat and cheese and send crackers. Also grapes and cut up fruit works well.

CryssiH
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM

He can carry a lunchbox cooler with him, can't he?  Any sandwich you make will be fine in one of those.  Snacks: carrots, chips, pretzels, those little cheese and crackers packs, beef sticks, cheese sticks, any fruit or veggie, snack crackers.  I don't use the fridge at work because I hate walking all the way to the lunchroom.  I take a cooler with 1 ice pack in it whenever I take anything that needs to be kept cold.  It works well.   

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

How about wraps? Those are easy to eat. We really like mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and low fat balsamic vinaigrette. Freeze a drink box to keep it cold and he can have that later or just bring it home for one of the kids to have.

reelo
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Seperate the sandwich components.  Freeze the lunch meat in a baggie and use it to keep everything else cool.  Thermoses are great for soups and most people can drink one while driving. 

We've made chili rolls before, take bread dough and roll it out into circles (think hand sized).  Fill with chili, cheese, onions.... fold over, brush with egg and bake until golden (also works with other fillings that are completely cooked on their own.

mommasbabies77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM
My hubby carries a lunchbox cooler with those freezeable things..They keep his food pretty cool. They sell those sub things at walmart...that can be heated or not, some of them are delicious. My dd loves them. They are a bit high in sodium though. As is lunchables.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)