Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP EDITED IN RED

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is sick... I need some advice... should i or shouldnt i take him in the the er?? This is going on the 5th day of him being sick. He has been running a fever up and down for the past 5 days and coughing.. first it was a dry cough now its more like he has some drainage, and his nose is runny. Last night really sacred me because his " fever " got to where it read 95.5 last night.... and thats never happened before with him being sick. About an hour later it went back to normal, now his fever is 100.00 just wakeing up... He has thrown up twice with in the past 2 days... ( last night and this morning ) he isnt really drinking anything or eating anything like normal... and hes very whiny.. please just tell me what you think i should do wait till tomorrow and take him to the doctor or take him in the the er right now??????????

His fever isnt just been 100.00 its been between 95.5 - 104.5... and I am concerend because he has asthma, and the asthma medication dosent seem to help in fact this motrin bottle suggest that it could reverse the affects of asthma medication, but I cant not give it to him. His little checks are red and his wants to do nothing but laydown... and he has had rosieola before, and I am concerned he has it agian and or the flu... like i mentioned before he hasnt ever had fevers like this before, they have only lasted maybe 2 or 3 days and went away and he felt fine after words. A cold for him has never lasted this long. He hasnt been around anyone that has been sick, and he dont go to daycare and or school. Thanks for the replys.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
prestonjohn
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

ummm his fever is not bad at all,,,and 95.5 is actually below normal temp...a fever of 100 isnt bad at all

mom2four1978
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I think you should just wait it out until you can call the regular doc tomorrow. His fever is not very high, and taking him to sit in the ER for hours is just going to make him even more miserable. Depending on his age this may not even warrant a visit to the doc.

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

his throwing up and not eating is probably from his sinuses draining,,my son went thru the same thing,,the snot is filling his belly up so he isnt hungry,,and the throwing up could be from the gag reflex of the snot draining,,little guys dont know how to hock up those hockers yet,,lol,,i think he will be ok and would ride it out a few more days,,as colds will last day to weeks but a virus usually less than a week...give him some motrin to help with the achyness

15children
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

That isn't a bad fever at all.  What you need to worry is about him getting dehydrated.  Could you guys get some popsicles(sp?) .............  Kids dehydrate really fast.  They arn't going to look at that temp in the E.R. at all, but they WILL be concerned about the dehydration.

kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

At this point, you only need to be concerned about the dehydration. He's throwing up probably from the drainage in his nose.

Do you have a cool mist humidifier? Keep that on as much as possible. Alternate the cool mist humidifier with warm mist by turning on the shower, bringing the baby in the bathroom with you and closing the doors. This will reduce the amount of snot he produces and cool and soothe his sinuses.

Try giving him something warm to drink- justm ake sure he is getting plenty of fluids.

moneean1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

My daughters did this a few months ago and I took them to quick care. She could'nt hold anything down and kept throwing up and my biggest concern was keeping her hydrated. The fever was not the big worry unless it got pretty high (mine stayed around 100- 100.5). Keeping them hydrated is the biggest thing when they are sick. You can try pop sicles or anything liquid they might like. If your son can keep the liquids down without throwing up thats a good thing, if not, or the fever gets too high, I would take them in. The doctors gave my daughters an anti-nausea shot and suppositories for later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)