Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's talk about sex....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM
  • 3 Replies

My nephew is 10 years old. It's understandable that he may be getting curious about the girls. But is it anyone's place to have "that talk" with him besides his parents? My sister just found out that our neighbor (my nephew's classmate's father) had a talk with him about sex. And I defended the neighbor because I  said that since my nephew doesn't have a daddy that is regularly in his life, that he may have turned to his friend's dad to get answers. Come to find out that the dad was the one who brought it up, not my nephew. How would you handle this situation? Would you say something to the neighbor? Or just let it go and make sure that your son has all the information he needs from you? 

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
usafwife314
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I personally would be furious.  If my child didn't have a "father figure", then either I would talk to him or I would find a male that I was comfortable with talking to my child.  I would never want someone to talk to my child about it without my knowing.  There may be things that were said that I don't want my child knowing.

Sex is something private, it should not be discussed by just anyone. 

kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM

That is a hard one! Personally, I think you should start having the talk with your kids WAY before the age of 10. My daughter is three and I have already started talking about things like that.

However, your neighbor was wrong! I think he was wrong to bring it up. If the child had asked HIM questions (this has happened to mebefore) I think you should give him as little info as possible until you are able to talk to the parents about it.

Now, if I got the impression that the parents had no plans to give their kid the talk, that would be really hard, I don't know if I would be able to keep m y mouth shut.

chais_wifey
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)