Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat Advocates..Are you as forward in real life about car seat safety as you are online? *Poll*

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you as forward in real life about carseat safety as you are online?

Options:

Yes

No

Sometimes

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

l saw that someone asked this and I wanted to do a poll about it.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
matofour
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

It really depends on the sitation.

If I see an infant, clearly under 1 or 20 pounds forward facing, I will tell the parents why they need to be rear facing.  If its because someone doesn't ERF I might voice my knowledge if its a friend, or the topic comes up, but lets face it the law sadly is 1 and 20 pounds.  As long as someone is following the law, not much I can say.

Same with 5 point harnessing, if I see a child in a booster who clearly is too little, I would say something, but if its a child who is 4, and 40 pounds (law in my state), I won't say anything unless it comes up because they are technically following the law.

There is a set of twins at my daughters preschool, who get picked up and dropped off without any carseat at all.  They are 3, almost 4.  The law here is 8 or 80 for a booster.  So, first I said something to the teacher, we talked about it, she was not sure what to do (and this school, brings the kids to the car and buckles them in for you, door to door service).  So, she said something to the parent, who continued to do nothing.  So, I called the police, and talked to our carseat tech about what the next step would be.  The next day, he was sitting on the street in front of the school (I gave him the car make and color), and he pulled her over.  He said it was not the first time he has had to do this, and it won't be the last.  The thing that drives me the MOST crazy is this woman would pick her kids up in her black Mercedes with leather seatsl....and not have a carseat for the kids...people like that are just stupid!

So, for me it depends on the situation

jrp0606
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM

I'm probably about the same - when I am working a check or a class or an information booth I will give parents the same advice I give on here. 

I usually find it easier to talk to parents IRL.

Do I go approach a perfect stranger in walmart no.

but if someone is in the carseat aisle looking for seats then i will help them.  or if I see a friend doing something than i will say something.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Yes I am the same on here as I am IRL. Today I talked to a mom about having her 1yr old in a HUGE poofy coat. She thanked me and I went on my way. I don't have a problem helping parents out on safety because 95% of them just don't know any better. I've also never had anyone IRL get rude or nasty with me. Its all about how your approach them and how you talk to them. If you are snotty and act like a know it all then you won't earn their respect and they won't listen to you. The mom I talked to today. I told her to try taking her coat off when she got home and then buckle her back in. That is how much room, plus more, she will have in an accident. As I was pulling away (she was 2 spots down from me) she had taken her DD out of the car seat and was taking her coat off of her. I think walmart is the worst place to be for car seat advocates & techs. But you have to pick and choose which children would be in the most danger and try and help. I think hospitals should require new parents to take a car seat safety class before they leave with the new baby or before the baby is born.

I'm Ashley. I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)