Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He saw it!!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
  • 37 Replies

I posted a while back about falling in love with a house in Norwich, CT.  I got a little worried after being told that Norwich is a dump, etc. My husband left yesterday morning and is in New London right now. I made him go check out this house http://www.prudentialct.com/ListingDetails.aspx?norecord=0&LK=1593920
There are a couple of homes on the street he said that look run down, but there is construction material around it so he said it looks like someone is fixing them up (I hope) he said the other homes on the street are nice, the neighborhood is just old.  He's talked to cops, and any other person who will give him info about the city. They've all said the same thing, it's a nice place to be, and his new salary will be more than sufficient. The cop did say the crime rates of Norwich and New London were a little higher than surrounding areas because those two places are more populated. We survived Las Vegas, though so...lol.

I'm starting to get excited, still nervous, but things are really falling into place. I still want this house like no one's business. Even if we pay the asking price we'll be able to make improvements. He said the garage needs to go, a bit of landscaping and some interior work.  I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm definitely feeling better about moving there.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasbabies77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM
Pretty house

Great price:)

briana_paige
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM

That house is really nice and so cheap! Getting it at that price, you will be able to afford to fix it up. I loved the kitchen, tub, and washer and dryer. When will ya'll put an offer on it? Good Luck!

cmb121906
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Awesome. Is it private sellers or bank owned from foreclosure? Find out how long it's been on the market, then make your offer from there. If they haven't had in bites in a long time, they probably will go lower then what you'd think. I'd start at 75,000 :)

Especially with in being in a "run down" area. WHo knows how long the building materials have been there.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I love it. I love how the upgrades that were done work with the house, KWIM? It's not all granite and steel in such an old home.

Quoting mommasbabies77:

Pretty house

Great price:)

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM

It looks like a really nice house!  I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Norwich (or any other part of CT).

momsgangof4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

The house is cute, but just so you know the street that it's located on is not a great area. I live 15 minutes from Norwich, but my family has owned a business in Norwich for 20 years. There are some good areas but that is not one of them. Good Luck though!

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM

There are definitely details to be ironed out before we do anything. We're still planning to rent first to get a feel for the area. I had just fully expected him to tell me to forget it. It's rare my husband looks at something like this and sees the possibilities. Usually he sees old and writes it off. He wants new construction LOL. Yeah right.

Quoting cmb121906:

Awesome. Is it private sellers or bank owned from foreclosure? Find out how long it's been on the market, then make your offer from there. If they haven't had in bites in a long time, they probably will go lower then what you'd think. I'd start at 75,000 :)

Especially with in being in a "run down" area. WHo knows how long the building materials have been there.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Oh, please don't burst my happy bubble lol.

It's killing me trying to figure out where in the area to live, it makes it almost impossible having never even been there.

Quoting momsgangof4:

The house is cute, but just so you know the street that it's located on is not a great area. I live 15 minutes from Norwich, but my family has owned a business in Norwich for 20 years. There are some good areas but that is not one of them. Good Luck though!

hholllyy426
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

In the future my husband wants to move to CT and when I was looking at houses this one was on my list. It looks great, good luck with the house and the move. 

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

momsgangof4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

If I can help at all let me know!! I do know the area very well, and lots of surrounding areas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)