Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my 19 month old ride rear facing?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM
  • 10 Replies

We have a Britax carseat. My son is 19 months old BUT weighs 50 lbs. He is NOT fat. He is very tall and thick for his age. My hubby is 6'4 250 lbs so our pediatrian is not concerened since my son is still breastfeeding and eats healthy and is VERY active.

So can a child that weighs 50 lbs ride rear facing? We have a Honda Odyssey if it matters...Thanks!

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasbabies77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM
I know nothing about rear facing. However, I have seen enough posts here on the subject to know that he can. How? I hope this will bump and someone more knowledgeable can help.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I don't think there's a seat in the US that goes up to 50lbs or higher. The highest I think is 45lbs.

erf-facts.png

-xoxo-
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM

There are people on this site rear facing their 5 year olds, I'm positive you can find a way. 

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Quoting -xoxo-:

There are people on this site rear facing their 5 year olds, I'm positive you can find a way. 

I think its done by weight tho and not age. You can have a 5 year old who weighs 45 lbs. My 3.5 year old daughter oly wieghs 39...Just not sure what the rear facing weight limit is...

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

luv_my_xiya
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

no he can't...i think only 1 or two seats go to 40 or 45 lbs...none go to 50 or more rf 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Probably not...I don't think they make rear facings seats in the US big enough.

However, if you really want to keep him rear facing your can order one from outside of the coutry...they are pretty pricey though.

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Well thats a bummer :(

jcsmummy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM

the highest RF limit i'm aware of is 45 pounds. you've got a very big boy. my girl who turns 5 in a few weeks is only 38 pounds.

Krysta622
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Unfortunately, there are not currently any seats available in the US that rear face past 45 lbs.  Most RF to 35, 1 or 2 RF to 40 and I believe only one goes to 45lbs RF.

jrp0606
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

wow, how tall is he out of curiousity?

Sadly no they do not make seats for the US market that rearface that high.

Most go to 35lbs or 40lbs.  there is one that goes to 45lbs but thats it.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)