Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we have created a monster...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

when it comes to dinner time.  My son is 2 (turned 2 in nov)  I know that most toddlers are picky but this is just RIDICULOUS.  The ONLY meats he will eat are cheeseburgers (home made usually) or Chicken fries made by tyson.  He has the same thing every morning for breakfast.  Waffles with either a fruit or yogurt and his daily vitamin.  We have tried oatmeal, he wont even taste it.  Cereal he picks at it and wont eat much... and only if its flavored kind he wont eat just plain cheerios or stuff like that.  Lunch will be PB&J  or a grilled cheese (cant really even get him to eat that anymore).  Dinner is a night mare.  The only veggie he will eat is corn.  He will not eat mashed potatoes or meat.  He will eat spaghetti, sometimes he will eat mac and cheese but half of the time i have to keep reminding him or giving him bites.  This is insane.  Yes we were enablers because he knows we wont let him go to bed hungry.  So if he doesn't eat dinner, we will make him something different before he goes to sleep. 

We have tried before refusing to make something different.  He goes to bed just fine but when he gets up in the morning he is starving ang gobbles down his food.  Then the same thing happens all over again.  How do we fix this and instill healthy eating habits into him???

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

bump

level1fevi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I don't run a resturaunt, so if you don't like it, that's too bad.  That's dinner.  If you get hungry later you can finish the dinner you didn't eat.

If he's so hungry the next morning after not eating dinner, then wouldn't he gobble down a new type of food just as hungrily?

CafeMom Tickers

callmemommyof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

maybe just try new things? my 2 year olds dont like a lot of meat, but if i mix it in with some noodles or rice they'll eat it like theres no tomorrow! lol. they love rice and noodles. hmm..as for breakfast, try new things too! french toast, cereal. even tho he doesn't eat cereal maybe if he sees you eating it, he will too? lunches, we do snack tray things lol. they get lunch meat, cheese, some veggies, we do corn dogs on some days but not very often..just try to mix things up. easier said than done im sure, but with my 2 year olds, if they see me eating it, they usually will too.

briana_paige
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM

This and also, make him sit at the table for awhile until he will eat, even if he has to sit there by himself. If that doesn't work, I'd send him straight to bed. I would understand if there were some things he wouldn't eat but it just seems like he is not eating  to be defiant.

Quoting level1fevi:

I don't run a resturaunt, so if you don't like it, that's too bad.  That's dinner.  If you get hungry later you can finish the dinner you didn't eat.

If he's so hungry the next morning after not eating dinner, then wouldn't he gobble down a new type of food just as hungrily?

angelbabee2009
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM

you have to tell him he eats what you make or not at all and stick by it u said he ate alot the next morning give him what you want him to eat and either he will eat or starve eventually he is going to eat and learn that he cant be picky because you are just making him spoiled and it will be harder to get him out of my mom did the same to me and 18 years later im still picky with some things and wont eat it you have to enforce it dont give in

hautemama83
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I agree with both of these

Quoting briana_paige:

This and also, make him sit at the table for awhile until he will eat, even if he has to sit there by himself. If that doesn't work, I'd send him straight to bed. I would understand if there were some things he wouldn't eat but it just seems like he is not eating  to be defiant.

Quoting level1fevi:

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Well I would never make my child go to bed hungry just because her tastes do not coincide with my own. If my 8 year old tries dinner and still doesn't like it, then I will make her a sandie or leftovers. It takes a whole 3 minutes really.

Also, your son is simply going through a phase lol. At that age my daughter ate only bologna for a month, then it was only cheese sandies for another month. She was perfectly fine and it was a normal stage that she outgrew. Relax and take your son's cues.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM

oh, I forgot to add that I have heard if you let the kids make dinner with you, then they are more inclined to eat what they helped make..

Well I let him help me bread the chicken and put it in the bag and shake and when we were mashing the potatoes I let him shake in the spices and use the mixer.  He still refused to eat what he made.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM

bump

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

We have always used the "two bite rule" in our house. Our daughter has to try two bites of everything served. If she still dislikes it then we will make her something else, but 98% of the time, once she begins to eat it, she likes it. The other 2% of the time I have to remember that she has her own tastes that will naturally differ from my own, so she needs to be allowed that option. Also, do not make a big deal of what he does, or doesn't, eat.... children love attention, regardless of whether it is negative or positive, so if he eats it do not say anything, and if he doesn't then just calmly make him something else that is simple, without going into much dialogue about it.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

bump

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)