Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make a list?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM
  • 25 Replies

Do you make a list everytime you go to the store and does it really save you money? I keep telling myself to make a list of what I need and even plan on making a menu but I never get around to it by the time I have to get groceries. I think I spend too much and I would like to figure out some ways to not spend as much. Any tips or suggestions?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usafwife314
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I try to, but then when I get there, I see all kinds of stuff that I need that's not on my list LOL.

I need to start making a menu, but when I do that, it seems like I'm making the same things over and over and over. 

I need some new ideas.

isra1986
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I used to to keep myself organized.
I lived where there were 3 grocery stores on the same street.
I would look at their sale papers and get the best deals from each store.
Here there is only grocery store so there is no need to make a list :(

briana_paige
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I make a list from the sales paper and also write beside each item the coupons I have for it, what the item costs, and how many to get. After I plan my list from the sales paper I write down the must haves I need to get. I save lots of money but my new years resolution is to only spend 40 dollars on groceries a week, so I will have to do more planning and research for this.  I think I can accomplish it though.

EnigmaMuse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I never use a list when shopping. I just always buy what looks good to me, or what I (or my husband) am in the mood for.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Shop the outer aisles first. Those are the things that are typically necessities, such as meat, dairy and produce. Only go down the aisles you absolutely need to. That will limit your impulse buys. It also saves a lot of time.

richgirljj
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Quoting briana_paige:

I make a list from the sales paper and also write beside each item the coupons I have for it, what the item costs, and how many to get. After I plan my list from the sales paper I write down the must haves I need to get. I save lots of money but my new years resolution is to only spend 40 dollars on groceries a week, so I will have to do more planning and research for this.  I think I can accomplish it though.

I do similar things as this.

Search & Win

missymommyof1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM

yep for grocries i also do a menu a week ahead too so my meals are all planned saves tons of money

julls04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM

i make a list but its because im forgetful. sure i get things out side of my list as well but what is usually on my list is stuff we dont buy/run out of to fast like salt, hardly ever buy it it lasts so long. the only list i make that saves me money and helps me get out of the store faster (can map out my route when im staring at what i need) is my wal-mart list.

KrystalY
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I always make a list, but I am bad about getting to the store and seeing a ton of other things.  There are also certain "necessities" such as milk, eggs, bread that I don't ever put on the list but know I need.  I find that when I make a weekly menu before I go to the store I save a LOT of money, usually about $50 a trip.  I just can't seem to motivate myself to do that every time. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Yes, every time, but sometimes I lose it or forget it.

I have a dry erase board on my fridge and every time we run out of something, I write it down.

I also plan out my meals so that I know exactly every ingredient that I need for the next two weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)