Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED with carseat picture.Foward Facing question (no bashing please just curious my infant is RF)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM
  • 68 Replies

they say that at one year or 20 lbs is the ok time to FF right? well what it my 8 month old is the size of a 2 year old. swear. at his 6 month appt he was 30 inches and 25lbs. and hes deffinitly taller now we had to lower his crib he's gotten so tall. well anyways my question is, should i switch him to forward facing at a year old? im going to AT LEAST wait until he is a year old but i dont see him being comfy in his seat much longer rear facing his legs are really long for his age.or should i just wait until after a year old as possible to switch him. im just a new mommy with a larger infant looking for answers

heres a picture to give u an idea of his size. he wears 24m clothes

update-

here he is at 6 months on halloween. his feet are completely touching the seat in front of him and now when we put him in there there all scrunched up and uncomfertable looking since he has gotten taller. we dont take him out as often with the flu going around but when we do take him out i still want him to be safe right? also just looking for opinions ladys on for a new mommy with a large infant.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM

NO!! There are RF seats that are bigger and will be just as comfortable for him as FF if notmore so. The cosco Scenera is about $50 at walmart and will RF until 35 lbs. There are also other seats that will RF much longer!! Let him stay RF as long as possible it is safer for him.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

cmb121906
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM

He is a big guy LOL!! I RFed for about 6 months after the 1yr & 20lb mark. It's sooo much safer to RF for as long as you can no matter how weird or scrunched up they look. LOL!! Good luck with whatever you choose.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM

It is okay in the sense that it is legal to forward face at one year.

Being rear faced with their legs tucked in is still safer than forward facing 96% of the time (according to the stats in the other post, lol).

If he is over the weight limit on the carseat, it might be better to get a new carseat that rear faces to a higher weight, that is what I would do.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

julls04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM

the car seat i have is RF for up to 40lbs i believe im going to have to whip out my manuel and is FF up to 100lbs. its the seat itself that cramps his legs up when he is RF he's got long legs

Quoting amayabrianna:

NO!! There are RF seats that are bigger and will be just as comfortable for him as FF if notmore so. The cosco Scenera is about $50 at walmart and will RF until 35 lbs. There are also other seats that will RF much longer!! Let him stay RF as long as possible it is safer for him.

DomJGinMama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I put my son in a ff at one because he wanted to be part of the conversations. he didnt like facing the back and i didnt even know people kept their kids in rf after the age of one until well just now. he likes it better and car seats are safe no matter what providing the child is secure in it and it is secure in the car. i also never even worried about him getting hurt in an accident because i try to drive as carefully as possible. i realize accidents happen but i dont see what difference a rear facing vs a front facing careseat would make

isra1986
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I agree with the other mommas! RF as long as possible.
We have a TrueFit by First Years and my DD is almost 2 and will be RF for quite some time. She is taller, but very thin. Her legs are just fine RF

julls04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

i have a friend who (not naming names here) put her child FF at 6 months, that wasnt my issue it was the way she buckled him in, gives me nightmares thinking about how that child was BARELY in his harness...

Quoting DomJGinMama:

I put my son in a ff at one because he wanted to be part of the conversations. he didnt like facing the back and i didnt even know people kept their kids in rf after the age of one until well just now. he likes it better and car seats are safe no matter what providing the child is secure in it and it is secure in the car. i also never even worried about him getting hurt in an accident because i try to drive as carefully as possible. i realize accidents happen but i dont see what difference a rear facing vs a front facing careseat would make

Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I say RF as long as you can.  It's proven safer, and that's what a car seat is for--safety.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

kk_bella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Quoting isra1986:

I agree with the other mommas! RF as long as possible.
We have a TrueFit by First Years and my DD is almost 2 and will be RF for quite some time. She is taller, but very thin. Her legs are just fine RF

I always wondered what that seat looked like when it was rear facing. I have this one for my daughter. I should have turned her around, but I didn't. Now I realize it would not fit in my (new to me) car. It would have fit in my old car, though.

Ah, well.

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Quoting julls04:

the car seat i have is RF for up to 40lbs i believe im going to have to whip out my manuel and is FF up to 100lbs. its the seat itself that cramps his legs up when he is RF he's got long legs

Quoting amayabrianna:

I'm sure he can put them up on the seat still right? Until he outgrows it for height I would suggest keeping him RF. It might seem uncomfortable but it isn't really. Most kids sit crosslegged when playing and sometimes even sleeping. Maybe post a pic of him in it and someone could help more, to give you a better idea. But ultimetly it is your choice. Just educate yourself before you make it either way.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.       Proverbs 18:2

rainbow4-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)