Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever have a bday party...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM
  • 59 Replies

without serving a meal?

Ok hear me out...

We are having my sons party at an indoor play area. For the cost of the place they get 2 hours of play time. In that 2 hours we will do cake and hoodsie cups. I figure that will take 30 minutes. If we do pizza too...will that take too much time away from the play?

Or would you never even consider that?

It's not the cost either...the place will cost us $185.00 for the 2 hours, paper goods, gift bags, hoodsies and juice. so thats a great deal. they also offer a discount to Dominoes which is $6 a pizza. so that only brings the cost to $221.00 for all of that. Thats a bargain if I don't have to clean up.

Oh yeah and a cake which is only another $20.

I'm just worried about the time constraints.

How would you feel as a guest invited to a mealless party, and would you ever do it?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Depends on the time of the party...3:00 -5:00, I would not expect a meal but 12:00-2:00, I would.

eyeheartsin
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

just order a few pizzas and let the guests choose when to eat, you don't have to make everyone sit down to eat, then do cake. It doesn't take very long to eat one slice. Have the pizzas out from the start, then do cake/etc 45 mins into the party and then there is enough time after cake to play more before the party ends.

1busymomma03
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

We had my DS's 5th birthday party at a bounce house type of place.. We rented out the entire place for 2 hours, and we only had cake. The party was later in the evening because that was the only time we could get, plus we were told the party could go on a little longer than 2 hours if it was later on in the day. We only served cake. No one said anything about it, and everyone that we know that has had a birthday party there too has also only served cake and no other food. So personally, I see nothing wrong with a meal less party. =)

momof2andloveit
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

i agree with this if its not set around a meal time i wouldn't worry about it

Quoting JulyBabies:

Depends on the time of the party...3:00 -5:00, I would not expect a meal but 12:00-2:00, I would.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Its 11-1 so that we're all home for the football games.

Quoting JulyBabies:

sadeyez11
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

sorry, but i would never have a party without feeding my guests. we have had partys at little places like that. kids dont take more thank like 20minutes to eat. as the guests are getting there you can give them their food, and after they eat, they can play once everyone has eaten you could play whatever games or what not you need to do. then cake, those cups and gifts. i dont think it is too hard to do in two hrs.

this yr we are doing my daughters party at mr. gattis. we are going to get it all done in two hrs. as our guests get there, they will eat, then we will do cake and goodie bags. then gifts then games. not too bad.

They Make My World go Round!!!

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I thought about taht too...but if I do that then I ahve to commit to it. I would still ahve to get enough pizza for everyone, which I figure for 13 kids and 16 adults maybe 6 pizzas should be enough? Maybe?

Quoting eyeheartsin:

just order a few pizzas and let the guests choose when to eat, you don't have to make everyone sit down to eat, then do cake. It doesn't take very long to eat one slice. Have the pizzas out from the start, then do cake/etc 45 mins into the party and then there is enough time after cake to play more before the party ends.

eyegirl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I've done alot of mealless parties.I usually do them after lunch but before dinner.I would just make a note in the invites that only cake and drinks will b served.In my experiance the kids are more intrested in playiny than sitting down to eat so save yourself the money.When I was a child we usually only had cake,ice cream and punch.If we got a meal it was the talk of the year.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Quoting imthatgirl728:

Its 11-1 so that we're all home for the football games.

Quoting JulyBabies:

You need to serve lunch at that time, order the pizzas, in my opinion

andreaw03
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Honestly...you're having a party for YOUR kids birthday.  I think the KIDS would rather play then sit there and eat....and they're going to get cake....

I'd say, do the party how YOU Want to...and not how other want you to!  You can tell the parents that you are not serving a meal, just cake.....and when the kids go home after 1 pm, they can eat lunch at their house.  I think you're right in your thinking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)