Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous! Dont know what to do

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son was born 10 weeks early and had lots of complications, spent 11 weeks in the NICU had 4 surgeries etc. Anway, he has been home since August, and doing great! He woke up this AM with a cough and runny nose. I am worried he is going to get dehydrated. He has taken 15 oz so far today ( he took a 4 hour nap, it is now 430 pm) he normally eats between 24 and 28 oz a day, plus a bowl of cereal w/ a veggie. I have a box of little colds but on the box it says to not give it to infants. but the bottle of infant tylonol even says that. I think he isnt drinking b/c he is having issues breathing through his nose. He is happy still though, and not a fever. He IS peeing, not as much as normal. I heard to turn the shower on HOT and let the bathroom steam up and take them in... is there anything else??

I am going to talk to his pulmonologist and pedi tomorrow. But until then?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fryeswifey
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Increase his fluids, keep an eye on his temp steam and maybe use a regular bulb syringe for his nose. Stay calm if it gets worse bring him in the er but call ahead you really dont want to keep a baby like that in an er waiting room he could catch all sorts of worse things. If he stops peeing or slows anymore or the color becomes off bring him in.

navydrinkingboy on a swingTom       Laura         Tommy Jr

glasgowmummy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

put a pillow underneath him when he`s lieing down which will bend the wind pipes and help to enable him to breathe.....here in glasgow (scotland) we can buy this tube that you put at the edge of the babies nose and you take the other end of the tube and start sucking....there is a little box thing at the end of this tube which will collect the mucus from the nose.sounds disgusting but i had to use it for my son when he was born and it worked a treat.

i also did the steam room approach but my son got very uncomfortble with it but it is worth a try..all babies are different.

calcalmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

You can also buy Little Noses. It's made by the same people and all it is is saline spray to put up his nose to help him clear up.  Do you have a bulb syringe?  I would definitly be using that alot too.  The nasal spray is good because it helps things dry up in there.   I would spray, let sit in his nose for a minute then suck it out the best you can with the syringe before you give him something to drink or eat. That should help with why he's not drinking as much...

If he has no fever, is still peeing alot and is still happy, he'll probably be fine.  There are so many little colds going around right now and kids always seem to get them right after the holidays and being around alot of family and friends. Kids get sick. It's inevitable.  It sounds like he'll be fine once his little nose dries up!

Good luck!

maidenmouse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM

nose suction and a steamy bathroom. If you have a humidifier start running it in the room he sleeps in now!!!! If you don't have one I would run out and get one they are not expensive and are a necessity. Prop him up to sleep infant car seats are wonderful for this!!!! Also if he seems chest congested put your hand in a cup form and thump his back move your hand around to the sides. It is kinda a hard thump but it helps loosen stuff up.

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Make sure his upper body is elevated. It should help the sinuses drain(gravity) Place him in one of those baby carriers if your arms get tired or you need to do something for a few mins.Those carriers that are sorta like a recliner - with the straps should be OK for a few minutes beside you.

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)