Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peoria woman charged with leaving child in cold car

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM
  • 18 Replies
Posted Jan 03, 2010 @ 01:26 PM

PEORIA — A Peoria woman faces charges after leaving her 5-year-old child alone in a car in frigid temperatures.

Police say 43-year-old Paula Thomas left the child in the car Friday for about 45 minutes in the parking lot of a Best Buy store. The car was not running.

The high temperature Friday was 11 degrees.

Thomas is charged with endangering the life or health of a child. It was not immediately clear whether she has an attorney. Calls to her home phone number rang unanswered Sunday afternoon.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AprilDJC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Wow are some people seriously stupid. First off what goes through their minds to think its ok to leave a 5 year old alone in a car ANYWHERE for any amount of time? Even in mild temps anything could happen to that child.  Second, I would NEVER leave my young child alone in a car for 45 MINUTES in a busy place like Best BUy. Well I would never leave a young child in a car period but seriously? I hope she gets the maximum punishment she can for that.

retsillacam
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM

some people are so damn stupid.

TessB
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM

OMG I just went outside for about 20 seconds and it is in the teens here and I thought I was gonna freeze my buns off! That poor baby!! I hope that lady is forced to lick a pole in frigid weather!! 

Proud Army Wife to Josh and mother to 3 beautiful boys...
Hayden David June 2001
Brodie Nicholas December 2004
Seth Justin July 07, 2009

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM

That is disgusting.

I will be the first (and likely only) one to admit that I have left my now 8 year old alone in the car (heat on and doors locked) since she was about 6. But only for short runs into the gas station and such. She is a severe asthmatic and the cold, dry winter air is a major trigger for her asthma.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

tracey111005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM

What state? The next town over from where I live is Peoria, Illinois.

savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM

rolling on floor We need to think of better punishments because threatening jail time and fines isn't working!

Quoting TessB:

OMG I just went outside for about 20 seconds and it is in the teens here and I thought I was gonna freeze my buns off! That poor baby!! I hope that lady is forced to lick a pole in frigid weather!! 

baby 1stholiday

tracey111005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Found it. Its right by me.

Neeters1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:27 PM

WOW!  That is just not right!  I am sure that her child was sleeping and she through that she would leave her there to sleep.  Well, fine then just sit in the car until the child wakes up or find a sitter for crying out loud.  I know that not everyone can afford a sitter, but just sit in the dang car with the child until the child wakes up.  I cannot believe how people think now days...

WAHM of 2 cute and adorable boys! :)

Brandon and Zachary

My Brandon has Autism....

-- Neeters! :)

mama2conor
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Quoting Neeters1:

WOW!  That is just not right!  I am sure that her child was sleeping and she through that she would leave her there to sleep.  Well, fine then just sit in the car until the child wakes up or find a sitter for crying out loud.  I know that not everyone can afford a sitter, but just sit in the dang car with the child until the child wakes up.  I cannot believe how people think now days...

I'd have woken him.  There are plenty of times when I've had to go shopping or something and my son fell asleep. He just has to be woken up, that's that.  That isn't a viable excuse (there isn't one IMO) for leaving him in the car.

RiverPhenix
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

WOW! Seriously?? You need your head examined!!!!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

That is disgusting.

I will be the first (and likely only) one to admit that I have left my now 8 year old alone in the car (heat on and doors locked) since she was about 6. But only for short runs into the gas station and such. She is a severe asthmatic and the cold, dry winter air is a major trigger for her asthma.

The Wolf Credo: "Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)