Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*PIOG* Uti in 2 yr old ~now terrified to go potty!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Help! I don't know what to do !My dd who will be three in march had to be taken to the er yesterday because she had blood in her urine.She has a really bad uti which they gave her a strong antibiotic for.I've been giving her nothing but water to drink but the thing is now she's terrified to potty.I can only get her to pee just a little bit until she screams and jumps off the potty running.I've tried bribing her,motrin,sitting there holding her while she pottys(not holding her down forcibly just hugging her)everything I can think of to get her to pee more.I don't know what else to do.I have to call in the morning to get a follow up with her pediatrician.But what can I do to help her now?She's in so much pain ..other than peeing in the potty she's fine running around playing and everything.How do I get her to potty?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
judybant
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

get CRANBERRY JUICE cocktail. NOT mixed with other juices... you can water it down with water, or add it to 7 up if it's too sour for her, but get her to drink that... it changes the ph balance in her urine, and it won't hurt so much to go... also, keep giving it to her just 4 ounces a day will keep the UTI away.... and up the amount as she grows bigger...  

JandBsMom80
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

My daughter has kidney disease and we get UTI's  often.   She will regress after each one.  I just let her wear a pull up because not empty their bladder can cause more UTI's . After a couple of days she is back to using the potty. Good luck

momto3girls0620
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM

i will try this thanks

Quoting judybant:

get CRANBERRY JUICE cocktail. NOT mixed with other juices... you can water it down with water, or add it to 7 up if it's too sour for her, but get her to drink that... it changes the ph balance in her urine, and it won't hurt so much to go... also, keep giving it to her just 4 ounces a day will keep the UTI away.... and up the amount as she grows bigger...  

momto3girls0620
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM

i'm letting her wear a pullup but she's afraid to pee period..she just keeps saying it hurts =(...i could care less where she pees along as she would just pee!

Quoting JandBsMom80:

My daughter has kidney disease and we get UTI's  often.   She will regress after each one.  I just let her wear a pull up because not empty their bladder can cause more UTI's . After a couple of days she is back to using the potty. Good luck

lovinmy3babs
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I am so sorry. Your poor baby:( My daughter did the same at her age she had one and would not potty for like 2 days. We just had to give the meds time to run its course so it did not hurt so bad. I hope she gets to feeling better.

MeganRoggero
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM

get the doc to give her something to numb the area and after she takes it like 20 minutes later, she  has to go pee and it might hurt then but after it won't, I had a bad bladder infection and that is what they did. Good luck and I hope she feels better. BTW the meds to numb will turn her pee bright orange

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)